RV082 RV042 RV042G v4 firmware bug?

Models affected:  RV082 v3 (primarily)  -  also RV042 v3 and RV042G

Symptoms:

1) web admin GUI stops responding

2) internet speed slows or stops completely

Temporary Fix:

1) power-cycle the router, everything works fine for a random period of time

Notes:

1) happens after a month or so for RV082 that is giving me trouble.

2) seems to affect a large number of units but not all units

3) this has been going on for a YEAR OR MORE without resolution

4) also, I can only program this router with IE - for firefox, I can't get past the certificate warning and to the login prompt.

5) could this be related to https login and broken code regarding SSL certificate or its integration into the web GUI?

6)  yes, I have reset the unit to factory defaults and reprogrammed

yes, I have tried different firmware revisions

yes, I am on the current firmware

yes, I have re-issued the SSL certificate

Maybe the team writing the firmware could get their hands on some of the reported units with these issues and see how they behave, figure out what the real problem is so we can stop beating our heads against the wall?

47 Replies 47

Tom,

Its not a case of taking initiative.  Cisco makes it so difficult to log a support case.

Take this latest lock up on a BRAND NEW device.  It has been delivered, installed and configured in the space of 48 hours.  Can I get a support case logged?  Oh no.  I need a service contract, apparently.  I mean, seriously.  A service contract for something that's just been delivered?  This is where Cisco is taking the mick.

You can see from this discussion alone that people have tried to use facilities and it just hasn't worked out.

Is there something we are all missing?

Tom,

I started this thread because it takes a long time to open and follow through with a support case, and I was hoping to make enough noise that it would get some general attention.  I agree with you that we all need to open cases and log this stuff formally.  I'll even be happy to send in my equipment for direct analysis.

With that said, I did log a case that was obviously firmware-lated regarding an RV082 v2 unit.  I also had several RV082 v1 units on the same v2 firmware level that were exhibiting the same problems.   I demonstrated that I could take any of several functioning RV082 v1 on v1 firmware, upgrade them to the v2 firmware, and they would immediately have issues.  The only fix for any of them was downgrading the firmware to v1.  This couldn't be done for the v2 unit, which is the one I logged the case on, so they did an RMA and replaced with a v3 unit.   Nothing ever came of the firmware issue that I proved by testing 4 different units.  latest v2 firmware is still the same, and is still recommended to be loaded on v1 units.

I challenge everyone here who has a valid v3 unit under warranty to log a support case.  You have to create a cisco ID using an email address, then you can call small business support to open a case.  You don't have to have a support contract.  Now, with that said, it's SUPER difficult to figure out how to do all of this because the SB devices are the ugly stepchild of the Cisco website.  I will post again with instructions on how to log a case.

don't think it's power spikes - mine is behind a pretty beefy Cyberpower AVR UPS.  Just ran fine for a month since the last glitch and it dropped out again today.   I'm switching it out for a spare and going to RMA the malfunctioning unit.

I'm thinking about trying out the SRP500 series to replace RV042's, although not as nice to rackmount as this guy is, and a little cautious about the firmware there.  

Also I think the ISA550 will be the choice for replacing RV082's - not as many ports, but much faster throughput capabilities, has an integrated-wireless option, and seems more solid.  Only issue is when rackmounting, the ports are on the back (super annoying)

Yeah, like I said, I was clutching at straws.  Its just so random and without anything concrete to go on I fail to see how it can be effectively diagnosed and rectified.

It also hacks me off enormously that the unit can't be configured to use SMTP AUTH and that it needs an open relay to send an email log.  Even NETGEAR boxes allow you to use SMTP AUTH!!!

The only solution I've found is to simply reboot every 24hrs, or spend $1000 and move to a real corporate-class vpn router.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

janickle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with the RV line.  Please feel free to contact us to open a case so that we can find a resolution for the problems you are encountering.  Our phone number is 1-866-606-1866.  Our team will be happy to assist you in finding a solution and address your concerns.

Thank you,

Jason Nickle

Where does it run in to that says you guys need a support contract? SB products do not need a service contract unless the product is out of hardware warranty (which that in itself is almost impossible with most new products since they have a limited lifetime hardware warranty).

That is one thing I've seen time and time again are people claiming a contract is needed. There is an apparent misinformation and that must be rectified because it is untrue.

opt 1 english

opt 2 small business

opt 1 new case

opt 1  if you have a ccoid (which you do, it is your forum log in)

opt 1 for manage switches (Yes, I know I wrote switch, but it will get you to the queue you need to go)

Call the support number, follow these IVR options. This will get you to the support queue you need. If someone tells you you need a service contract, let me know. Make sure to take their badge ID and first/last name.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Your input is appreciated but, here in the UK, there is nothing very clear on any of the support pages which says Small Business Support.  Every support link takes you down the Support Contract rabbit hole and contact a partner or reseller.

And having to call the USA for support is just ridiculous.  Why can't we have a number in the UK to call?  Calling overseas costs an arm and a leg and if you think the standard UK business is going to call the USA to get stuck in a queue Cisco has to be stark raving mad.

Email support would be good.  UK-based (not India, Phillipines or any other overseas call centre) would be phenomenal.  If you have a UK telephone number, please post it to this forum as, so far, you've been more help than any other page on the Cisco support site.  Thank you.

This number doesn't work for the UK?

0800 917 5473

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

I will call that number tomorrow and log a case for the three affected boxes that I have installed so far.  Thank you for your assistance.

No problem. If you have a problem, send me a personal email and I will get a case up for you. If you need to email me, please include-

Cisco ID (your forum login)

Serial number

Problem description

Contact tele # and alternate #

Valid email address

I can make the ticket myself or on your behalf.

-Tom

janickle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Here is a link to all of the Small Business Support Center Phone numbers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

eliotte69
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I opened a case couple weeks ago and here the answer:

Greetings,

The following is a case status update courtesy notice.

The issue you reported remains open with Engineering&   Development teams.

This issue may be addressed in a forthcoming Maintenance Release  firmware, however there is no ETA for this release. We will continue to  monitor Engineering&   Development team progress and notify you as  soon as any updated information becomes available. Please let us know if  you have any questions.

Can you please provide your case number?

-Tom

I sent you my case number.