RV082 RV042 RV042G v4 firmware bug?

Models affected:  RV082 v3 (primarily)  -  also RV042 v3 and RV042G

Symptoms:

1) web admin GUI stops responding

2) internet speed slows or stops completely

Temporary Fix:

1) power-cycle the router, everything works fine for a random period of time

Notes:

1) happens after a month or so for RV082 that is giving me trouble.

2) seems to affect a large number of units but not all units

3) this has been going on for a YEAR OR MORE without resolution

4) also, I can only program this router with IE - for firefox, I can't get past the certificate warning and to the login prompt.

5) could this be related to https login and broken code regarding SSL certificate or its integration into the web GUI?

6)  yes, I have reset the unit to factory defaults and reprogrammed

yes, I have tried different firmware revisions

yes, I am on the current firmware

yes, I have re-issued the SSL certificate

Maybe the team writing the firmware could get their hands on some of the reported units with these issues and see how they behave, figure out what the real problem is so we can stop beating our heads against the wall?

47 Replies 47

I have about 30 RV042s in the field.  Most of them just sit there and work, as if they were Ciscos or something.  But the last 6 I've installed have been a disaster.   The oldest one is running

1.3.12.19-tm (Feb 13 2009 13:03:21)

That one has 17 VPNs configured and has been problem free since Day 1.

We also have a bunch wih 4.1.01, also stable

The more recent ones came with 4.2.2.08.  What we are finding on these is that they're OK until we log in remotely and change anything.  Make a change to the VPN config (these all have just 1 VPN); change the DHCP range, any changes at all.  Sometimes that works, but frequently what happens is you get logged out of the web interface, and you cannot log back in again - it gives you "invalid password" both with the configured password and the default password.   Sometimes the router keeps working anyway, sometimes it does not.

Upgraded to 4.2.3.03 (I think - it was the one prior to .06), same problem.

We've upgraded to 4.2.3.06 and so far not enough experience to know for sure - mainly because I'm terrified to try changing anything without being physically on site with a new router - but no crashes yet.  I've also noticed that the web interface is dramatically more responsive than the previous versions, which also makes me think there was a memory leak or something similar causing a progressive overload.

We're giving up on Cisco SB completely, due to their refusal to even consider that there might be a problem here.  To me it's pretty obviously a memory leak or other firmware bug that's mangling the configuration.  Rebooting the router rarely helps, so it seems to be mangling both run and start configs.

Looking at the ZyXEL USG, seems pretty good.

Anyone have any other replacement suggestions?

Just got two RV042G and have been running them for two weeks. The issue affects both the main site and the secondary -- which does not have anything fancy configured except DHCP and DynDNS.

I got a bunch of ShrewSoft clients configured on laptops & workstations connecting to the main site/router... Until it freezes. The client simply times out and, at the same time, the Web UI becomes unavailable and there is no other choice but to reboot at least the main RV042G, sometime the secondary as well.

Thus, I got to have both RV042G rebooted, spontaneously, during the day while >30 users have to be told to close all connected software / files handle. 

Forget doing maintenance at night: it'll fail within a few hours after the last person leaving the shop reboots the router. Last nights' session got stopped in its tracks roughly 8h after that moment with just me on the Web UI and one client station on VPN.

So far the bet replies / solutions tracks I got herein are:

1. (in an earlier post) DHCP, defaults to "Use DNS Proxy" - change it back to "Use DNS as Below" and specify your own DNS 

2. (as per this last post) downgrade FW to 4.1.01, deemed stable.

Will try those and report back.

The DHCP change still has the RV042G freezing after 6h-8h.

Will attempt FW upgrade to the latest (4.2.3.08) next. Stay tuned.