cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 slow upload speed

HiV0ltage
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco RV082 Dual WAN router with the latest (only available) firmware 2.0.0.19-tm.

I have it set up in Smart Link Backup mode, the primary WAN1 connection is a 12/2mbit Cable connection (DHCP), while backup WAN2 is 6/1mbit DSL connection (PPPoE).

The router works fine, properly switching over the internet to backup when Cable fails. I have no issues with it except for one.

The upload speed on the cable connection maxes out at 1.4mbit. If I bypass the router and plug in the cablemodem directly into a computer, the upload speed is 1.95mbit, which is very close to what it should be since we pay for 2mbit upstream.

I have tried all sorts of settings, including disabling the firewall, tried the various bandwidth management options, set the maximums speeds for the connections, even tried setting them twice and three times higher, and always the speed on the upload is 1.4mbit.

There is no newer or older firmware to rever to for this revision, so I cannot try that.

Is there something I'm missing? This is very frustrating, as I like this router and I will be forced to get something else if cannot figure it out.

Thanks,

Martin

fdf

4 Replies 4

clamasters
Level 1
Level 1

This could be a duplex mismatch.  I would check that first.  If the RV082 doesn't allow you to set it, the ISP may be able to set theirs.

I actually thought of the duplex, so I tried changing it for the WAN port, it basically didnt want to work at all on anything but 100/FD or AutoNeg which effecively sets it to 100/FD.

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta DPX-2100r2 which works fine at 100/FD when attached to a NIC, and worked fine before on an old Linksys WRT54GL before I acquired the RV082 and I was getting full 2mbit upload on it.

I doubt this is some hardware limitation, this router should have more than enough horsepower its cpu is 533mhz. It handles downloads just fine, this cable provider has "speedboost" on the downloads going to like 30mbps for about 10 seconds, so I doubt its a thruput limitation.

I am wondering if I should do a full reset or maybe reflash the firmware...

When you switch between 100/FD and Auto on the RV, does anything change speed-wise?  If not, then I suspect that it may still be a duplex mismatch.  If the modem is set for auto, when you switch the RV to 100/FD, the modem would effectively be 100/HD.  Then if you go auto on both sides, there may be a problem with negotiation where one of them, probably the modem, is still running at half duplex.

Since this may not be the issue, are you seeing any port errors, retries, etc on either device?

Yeah on some settings it didn't work at all, I think at 10/FD it worked but it was slow as heck like 1mbps both ways...

I still don't think it's a duplex issue, since you can't set duplex settings in these cablemodems as the interface is locked down by the cable company you can only see the signal strenght, etc...

Edit:

Just to make sure of the duplex settings, since the modem itself doesn't show it, I passed it thru a standard unmanaged 100/10 switch which has LED's to display the speed & duplex, and both the port hooked up to the modem and the port that feeds to the WAN1 port of the RV082 show 100/FD connection.

Speed on the upload remains 1.40mbit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: