cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 Small business router - Wake on lan (over internet)

lorividcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i saw older discussions over WOL and RV082/RV042.

As router blocks broadcast packets from internet to lan, to make WOL work, i should change router's ARP table using telnet, probably with V1 and V2 versions this action was possible, but trying telnet connection (http://<Router IP Address>/sysinfo123.htm?ConsoleSimulation=1 with RV082 V3 nothing appears, and telnet connection on standard port (23) fails.

Does anyone know how to make pass WOL magic packets through a RV082 V3 from internet to LAN ?

Using simply port forwarding don't work, as router discard broadcast packets incoming from internet.

39 Replies 39

OK, I understand you must mean the ARP table in the router.  The entry for my desktop disappears from the "connected deviced" ARP table soon after the computer goes to sleep.  I do not see any way to keep this from happening.  I set the ip address to static in the router and it makes no difference.

I tried to play around with the ARP entries through the command prompt with no luck.  I did notice, however, that the ARP entries for the PPTP VPN network interface have no physical MACID associated with them, and I see no way to change that.  I can see the MACID for the desktop computer listed in the interface, but the MACID for the desktop computer in the PPTP interface is blank just like for all the other IP addresses.

I tried the command:

arp -s (ipaddress) (macid)

and it did set the MacID static to the ipaddress, but not for the PPTP network interface.

This is insane.

EDIT:

Dudes, this makes no sense.  Why would I still be able to wake the computer on the local LAN but not remotely through a VPN tunnel?  The only reason I can see is that all the arp entries in the vpn tunnel network interface are blank and I cannot change them.  The arp entries when I am on the LAN have MACid's associated with them.

If the router would retain the MacID's in the arp table I think this would work.  Loris, are they retained on your router?

I think the mystery is solved.  Here is a link to someone who had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with this router, but he could get WOL working with his old router. Ironically it links right back to this thread.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3921551

Basically what this tells me is that WOL is not possible with the RV100W.  This is probably because they clear the ARP table seconds after the device goes to sleep.

Loris, I am really curious if your ARP table is cleared when your computer goes to sleep.

As I stated few days ago. Arp is a problems with home cisco/liksys routers. Unfortunately this kind of routers doent have a command line to set

a static arp. as per past experience, cisco enterprise router have about 4 hours of timeout.

linksys more or less the same. Release notes of the rv110w state that arp cache is removed but not states the timeout.

This thread suggests me not to purchase this model of router. I will buy again another zyxel.

ciao

L:.

Sorry Luigi, you are right.  The ARP table in the router is not labelled as such so I did not understand last week what I was looking at. Loris probably got his to work because the older Cisco routers did not clear the ARP tables so quickly, or the entries can be made static.

It is funny (and sad at the same time) that Cisco links to this forum post every time someone has a WOL problem with a Cisco router.  I will offer one final word of advice for others who link to this page.

IF YOU NEED THE WOL FEATURE DO NOT BUY A CISCO ROUTER.

stick there !

If you suceeded in issuing a static arp in order to match the IP of the pc with his mac address, and this entry remains permanently in the

configuration of the router, you made the first part of the work.

after, you have to route the udp/9 from the outside network to the inside network address of  the ip of the pc. I am pretty sure that will work

L:.

No, it's over Luigi.  It is NOT possible to make static ARP entries in the RV110W router.  My theory is that Loris was able to make this work because his RV082 router allows static entries (or the RV082 ARP table is not cleared so quickly).

To make WOL work on RV082 I didn't change ARP entries, it's possible (but would be a strange behaviour!) that this router stores ARP table for more time than RV110, but I think it would be logical that routers store ARP entries at min. for the full lease time specified in DHCP settings (you can see these counters doing a right click on your PC network connection icon).

However, after you changed lease time, have you rebooted RV110 ?

I have seen on network connection of my PC (WIN7) that NIC is continously connected to RV082 (since 2 days in this case), during that time PC was ibernated many times, but the connection time (correctly) don't restart from zero. It's the same in your case ?

in my opinion, if you send from outside a magic packet, the router must know to whom the packet as to be delivered (ottherwise can do a broadcast, but i never tried it). the only way for the router to deliver the magic packet to an host on the lan inside, is to work on the mac basis therefore

the arp conversion is needed.

cisco ios has 4 hours of time-out for the arp table and can be modified by the administrator. Unfortunately cisco's home products follow another

philosophy....

I will not buy a cisco home products.....

Unfortunately you cannot send a broadcast packet from outside lan, becouse many routers discard it. In this situation ARP conversion is needed as you said. These routers are small business, not home products, so buyer expects they have at least WOL ability. In my case WOL works correctly (however was not very simple to implement the first time). I think WOL is a basic function (for small routers too), and it should be explained in users manual, or better, added as a service of router operating system, with the ability to send a broadcast packet. Jon we wait for your news (good news I hope).

Well, to me there is good news.

1. There are some people who are very helpful in trying to solve problems (thank you Luigi and Loris).
  2. I now know that my computer is configured correctly for WOL.
  3. I learned more about computer networking.
  4. Luigi suggested the Zyxel and Qnap routers both have WOL capabilities so I have alternatives (any model names?)
  5. Here is a site that offers a way to plug a hacked router into a LAN network to get WOL working:

http://www.wolcenter.com/faq.php     I have an old router that should work with this, so this will be my next attempt.

When I am on the LAN there is a static entry in the ARP table on my laptop for the desktop computer (type "ARP -a" in a command prompt).  This is why WOL works on the local LAN, even through the router.

When I am connected through the PPTP VPN and type "ARP -a" in a command prompt, the MacID column of the ARP table is totally blank (there are IP addresses but no MacID's). 

I think if I could have gotten a static ARP entry in the PPTP ARP table, this would have worked.  This is why I can't get it to wake through the VPN.  It is just a theory, but one that makes sense.  Even the web site I mentioned in point 5 notes the ARP issue.

IF YOU NEED THE WOL FEATURE DO NOT BUY A CISCO ROUTER.