Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 speed limit to WAN

Tiroless2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have been working for years with RV042 and RV082 routers wihout any problem.

Now, I have set up a RV082 connected to a router (cisco) from my Internet provider (Fiber)  that provides 30Mb. I am unable to download more than 10Mb/s. I can upload almost 30Mb/s.

If I connect my Airport Express directly to the Cisco router I can reach almost 30 Mb/s downloading and uploading with no problem.

I have played with MTU (auto, 1500, 1492,...) with no success. I have used Load balancing, backup or just one cable connecting Wan but no result.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!

Alberto

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ooooo, I remembered where I saw this type of problem before!

Check the ethernet setting on the WAN port and make sure it is set manually to match the port speed out of the the cisco routers.  For example, if the Cisco is 100mb half-duplex, be sure the rv082 is set to the same.  I've seen the same thing on a router I had that had only 1mb down and 11mb up.  The duplex setting was wrong.

Hope this fixes the problem!

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Alberto,

Did you try disabling SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) in the firewall?

- Marty

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I disabled SPI and nothing changed. I found some comment about that but dd not work on my case.

Alberto

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Try turning off anything that filters traffic like the firewall and spi.  Be sure to put in the correct speeds for the WAN too.  What firmware version are you on?  I can hit almost 50mb down on my rv016s running on firmware 3.0.0.19-tm.

Hi Samir,

I test it without Firewall also. I add a pic with config.

Firewall config.png

I had 30000 Kbit/Sec for Upstream and Downstream. Is it ok or better try with a big number?

Firmware.png

Firmware is 4.2.2.08

Thanks for your help!

Alberto

I fotgot to say that nothing changes with las suggestions. I continued with limit downstream speed. 

Ooooo, I remembered where I saw this type of problem before!

Check the ethernet setting on the WAN port and make sure it is set manually to match the port speed out of the the cisco routers.  For example, if the Cisco is 100mb half-duplex, be sure the rv082 is set to the same.  I've seen the same thing on a router I had that had only 1mb down and 11mb up.  The duplex setting was wrong.

Hope this fixes the problem!

Hello Alberto,

Have you tried to factory reset the router and start with basic configuration? Also, it would be worth checking the WAN bandwidth section to see if the router is limiting the downstream bandwidth.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=d297d2890f084031a5e906f24727104c_Set_Up_Dual_WAN_Connections_.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=2&dispid=0&cpage=search

Since you say that you can upload at 30 Mbps, it may not be interface configuration mismatch. However, if you have access to the upstream Cisco router, can you check the output of "show interface " and check the speed/duplex settings, input/output packet rate, indication of any packet drops etc to make sure that there is no issue upstream when RV082 is connected?

Nagaraja

Hi all,

Today I do not have access to the router so I'll test all your suggestions tomorrow.

Samir, thanks. I'll test it and share results. For sure configuration is "auto" and I imagune this can explain the problem... let's see!

Nagaraja, thanks. Some comments about your suggestions:

1. First time I noticed the problem was with my old RV042, reseted and with upgraded firmware. Then I bought new out of the box RV082 thinking was a "muscle" problem as I 've never had more than 10Mb with the RV042. The  result was exactly the same. So the problem appeared with both models.
  2. I can not have access to the Cisco Router from my provider. But remember that if I use an Airport instead the RV042 (I tested Extreme and Express versions) I get almost 30Mb uploading & downloading from wireless and wired connections. So I think problem is related to RV0xx or at least interaction between RV0xx and the Cisco Router.
  3. In former companies I have been using Load Balancing & Smart Link Backup configurations with no problem with RV042 and RV082 models. Also Tunneling and PPTP access. I think I have tested all possible configurations. Althoug that, I'll review all settings again and test Load Balancing and Smart Link Backup to see if this affects.

Before last Samir comment I decided to buy a different router, I need to solve this ASAP. I have acquired a AllNet router ( http://goo.gl/qMWoCn ). So I'll test everything you suggested and the new Router.

Thanks to all!

Alberto

Wow, knowing that you've seen this on two rv082s, I'm almost convinced that it's the ethernet setting.  Try setting it to something other than auto like 100 full-duplex and I bet both rv082s will work fine.   I hate that you've had to buy another router, but I've had to do that too in the past--networks don't wait for solutions!

Samir, you where right!!! Thanks for your help.

I just changed  from Autonegotiation to Full (Duplex)

Autonegotiation.png

Then I get almost 30Mb downloading and uploading. It has no limit right now.

I can't see significant difference when I change from Load Balancing to Smart Link, it is normal because both WAN ports are connected to the same Cisco router.

Thanks to all!

Alberto

I'm glad you figured it out.   If I hadn't run into this before on my own network, I wouldn't have recognized it.

If you have only one connection, I'd just plug in wan1 only, especially since if wan1 is down, so is wan2.

So now the question is, what do you plan to do with your two rv082s?

Hi Samir,

Well... with an extra RV042 and a Allnet Router... some Tunneling VPN to home or similar

Having a router backup seems also a good idea!

Best,

Alberto

That would be nice--accessing work from home.

Having a backup router sounds like a good idea, but these rv-series are built pretty well.  My oldest rv016 was bought when it first came out and at one point was in a 110F+ environment for over a year.  I thought it had died when it started dropping wan connections.  Even Cisco diagnosed it as failed.  Well, I purchased a new one that did the same thing (sound familiar?). 

After using the newer one for a few years, both were retired for about a year, and then put back into service about a year ago--and they're still working great.  (And by great I mean as good as these will work with a daily reboot.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: