cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110W throughput drops substantially a few days after rebooting

wodenickel
Level 1
Level 1

My RV110W is only a few months old and apparently started ginvg me issues shortly after I got it. Since it was new, however, I only recently suspected it as the culprit!

I have a simple home/small business setup. A single PC wired into the lan and a handful of occasional use laptops & Android phones/tablets and a Playstation.

My connection is a 30M down / 5M up cable link. I have a UBEE DOCSYS 3.0 cable modem operating in passthru mode to my RV110W.

Over the course of several days, thruput drops from the measured 30/5 down to as low as 1/whatever. Rebooting the RV110W restored full speed. The UBEE has never been rebooted during this time. Connecting my wired desktop PC directly to the UBEE modem give me the full 30 downlink speed even when the RV110W perfomance has dropped to 5 or even 1.

I am using onle a single wireless LAN, no logging turned on, no VPN, no other 'tuning of settings.

As it is, this device must be rebooted every few days to restore full network speed. This is unacceptable, of course - especially from a small business class device!

Help please!

10 Replies 10

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Mark,

Thank you for reaching Cisco Small Business Support Community.

There is definetely something wrong with this RV110W in my opinion.  I suggest you to first back up your configuration, upgrade the firmware to the latest release version 1.2.0.9 and reset to factory conditions.  Please refer to chapter 7 from the admin guide for instructions in how to do all that:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv110w/administration/guide/rv110w_admin.pdf

Firmware upgrade at:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283879340&reltype=all&relind=AVAILABLE&release=1.0.0.2&softwareid=282487380&sortparam=

If this does not fix the problem please let me know so we can figure out what the next step is going to be.  I'll be looking forward.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

I am also seeing this issue and have the latest FW installed.  Any additional advice?

Hello Jerry,

The only thing I think of is the WAN port MTU size as the source of the problem, you can run a MTU size following the below document and adjust it if necessary;

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=386

Other than that I suggest you to get in contact with the Small Business Support Center,  it might be a hardware issue since the rebooting the device fixes the problem;

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

My device is only a few months old.

It came with the latest version of the firmware already installed.

I went through the MTU material and confirmed that for me, 1500 (the default) is the proper size.

I have backed up my configuration and reset to factory.

Since I only configured one wireless LAN and never got a chance to dig any deeper into the other featurees (which was why I bought this device in the first place!) I did NOT restore my config but instead manually recreated it.

I am back online (as expected). As typical after a reboot, I am getting full speed. I'll check it again every day or two and report back.

My concern is - what next from here? What's the next step from here?

Hi Mark,

Please call the Small Business Support Center and speak with an engineer. 

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Thank you Cindy for your response.

I'm speed teseting it daily and so far, so good.I'll continue to keep an eye on this - just in case and if it re-occurs will post here foreveryone else's benefit AND call in to the Center.

Mark

I had not been checking it often... but it's now back down to 1/3 normal thruput. Thru the RV110W am getting only 9, bypassing it and going direct to the modem gives me the full 31 that I pay the cable company for.

I'll be calling in as soon as I get a chance. This unit must be defective. At it's cost tho I can't really afford any more time playing with it!

Sigh.

Update. I needed to set a fixed IP. After that, the speed went back up to full amount. I did not reboot in between.

Another sigh. This is the first router I've had to pay any attention to after unboxing & installing it!

Interesting that this was fixed by assigning a static IP.  I remember seeing the exact same issue on the rv042, and that was due to failing capacitors.  Eventually the unit failed completely.  If you're still under warranty, I'd get this replaced before it dies on you!

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

It's not fixed. It's been doing it over and over again - I just haven't been posting. I'll have to call it in...

I would get it replaced asap!  There's virtually no way to repair it  once outside of warranty.  I have a dead rv042 that's sitting in the box  due to the $20 worth of capacitors dying.