cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV120W 1.0.2.6 Port VLAN

richard.odom
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded from 1.0.1.3 to 1.0.2.6. I tried to change on of my port VLANs and couldn't find the port vlan configuration anymore. After a lot of searching, I reloaded 1.0.1.3, reconfigured the port vlans and then reloaded 1.0.2.6. All is fine now.

I reread all the notes, and I can't find anything on changes to port vlan. Am I missing it in the configuration areas, or was it eliminated?

7 Replies 7

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Richard,

No VLANing functionality and mapping wireless to a VLAN is sort integral to the unit.

It's got to be there.

I know the newest version of code was also designed  to improve the usability of the GUI, so i guess thaings may have changed around a bit.

The Admin guide referenced below, does suggest on page 30;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv120w/administration/guide/rv120w_admin.pdf

So it looks like the GUI may have  gone from port vlan to vlan membership, but I have loaned out my RV120W to a Cisco partner and cannot personally confirm this.

Enabling VLANs

STEP 1 Choose Networking > LAN (Local Network) > VLAN Membership.

STEP 2 Check the Enable box.

STEP 3 Click Save

Creating a VLAN

You can create up to four VLANs on the Cisco RV120W.

STEP 1 Choose Networking > LAN (Local Network) > VLAN Membership.

STEP 2 In the VLAN Membership Table, click Add Row.

STEP 3 Enter a numerical VLAN ID that will be assigned to endpoints in the VLAN

membership.

The VLAN ID can range from 2 to 4094. VLAN ID 1 is reserved for the

default VLAN, which is used for untagged frames received on the interface, and

VLAN ID 4092 is reserved and cannot be used.

Hope this helps

regards Dave

VLAN Membership in 1.0.2.6 only allows you to tag or not tag the frames with vlan. It does not allow you to specify which vlans are on a port, or if the port is trunked.

In 1.0.1.3 I had set one port to VLAN 402. Once I upgraded to 1.0.2.6 I attempted to change this port to a different VLAN.

Not only did I not find the configuration screen to change the port vlan, it was on VLAN402 and I could not use it for VLAN400 as desired. I then restored 1.0.1.3 and its original configuration, modifed the port to trunk the vlans and upgraded to 1.0.2.6

Just sucks when the vendor takes away a feature, doesn't tell you and the upgrade breaks your box. I like being able to tag the VLANs, but its much more important that I can set up the ports to trunking or single VLAN access.

Like I said, I may be missing something, but I sure can't find a way to map vlan/port as I did in 1.0.1.3.

I'm having fits with getting VLANs to work as well.  I started with the original version of code. The earliest version of code was where I started, 1.0.0 something. There the terms "Trunk" and "Access" made sense to me, but the "General" did not.  I was not able to get the built in DHCP server to function on any of my wired ports, so I upgraded the code to 1.0.2.6.

Now the port options are "Tagged" and "Untagged" for each VLAN.  For me "Tagged" would mean that traffic for the VLAN was allowed on the port, and "Untagged" would mean it is not.  However each port must have one "Untagged" vlan and the rest are "Tagged"   I found this at http://www.tech-faq.com/vlan.html:

• VLAN modes – Procurve has three modes of operation for VLANs on the chassis, Untagged, Tagged, and No. Untagged mode is Cisco’s access mode. This mode is used for ports that connect to end nodes or devices that will not be passing VLAN traffic forward. Tagged mode is the same as Cisco’s trunk mode. This mode is used for ports that are connecting to devices that will be passing VLAN traffic forward or for trunking multiple VLANs. No mode means that the port in question has no association whatsoever with that VLAN.

Because one VLAN for each port must be "Untagged" the only mode for the port is what an IoS switch would call "Access" and trunking is no longer an option.  So yes it would appear Cisco has removed functionality. 

I'm also finding that even with a static IP on my wired port, I cannot ping the address of my VLAN regardless of the Tagged/Untagged status or the port. Needless to say, I cannot get the a DHCP address for any of my wired ports as well.

hans.mans
Level 1
Level 1

So when is Cisco going to fix this issue? I didn't realise that the feature has been gone until today. I needed to revert to an older firmware version to configure VLAN functionality with some new clients. There is no description in the "known issues" file; is this feature not supported anymore?

If the issue persists, you might want to consider resetting the device to factory defaults and re-configure the VLANs from scratch.

I did already reset the device to factory defaults. With firmware 1.0.2.6., I am missing the same things like richard.odom mentions. When reverting back to the old firmware, everything appears again in the menu structure and is configurable.

This thread may be of interest to you guys although it's for the RV220W, either way cisco have attempted to make it easier to configure vlans, but in the process, they have left out valuable functionality. I looking forward to the issue being resolved.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3540194#3540194

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: