Views
Helpful
Replies

RV120W - Can't map Win7 network computers over VPN

cgeigle11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have installed an RV120W router specifically for the VPN capability. I have a small home office with 3 Win7 computers and a SeaGate GoFlex Home NAS drive opperating on the RV120W LAN. I need to allow users to access these networked computers and NAS device over the VPN by mapping their IP locations, such as 192.168.100.155, which is the local IP assigned by the router.

I am able to establish a QuickVPN connection without trouble. I had to set the port to 60443 as it was conflicting with the NAS drive, but this resolved that problem.

I am able to ping the router without any problem over the VPN using the local IP address. I am able to pull up the NAS web portal off the drive via the local IP address using a broswer. Therefore, I know I am talking to the drive via port 443 (I think that is the right port for http). I CANNOT ping the NAS drive over the VPN. I CANNOT ping ANY of the computers or the NAS over the VPN.

Through my reading it appears that a port is being blocked that might need to be opened. But, in the same readings, they say you should use a VPN so that you don't have any issues with blocked ports. I thought I was using a VPN!

I am testing the VPN on a WIN7 Pro laptop with the most current QuickVPN installed. I have also update the firmware on the router to the most current as well.

When I do an ipconfig /all command and look at what I think is the VPN information, there does not appear to be any tunnels established. I don't know if this matters, but thought it odd since I do have a VPN established.

I have enabled PING in the firewall and unchecked the Block Fragment Packets.

I should also note that I can remote manage the router using the 60443 port and an https connection to the local ip address, so clearing there is a connection.

SO WHY CAN"T I SEE ANY OF MY WIN 7 COMPUTERS OR MY NAS DRIVE?

I have burned a lot of time on this and without the VPN capabilities, this router does me not good.

8 Replies 8

riroe
Level 3
Level 3

When you do the ipconfig you will only see your IP address. QVPN does not create an IP address when connecting.

Do you have the firewall turned off on the PC's that you are trying to connect to?

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Hello,

Firewall on or off has no impact. Also disabled all virus software. Still can't ping.

Thanks,

Chris

When I look at the routing table, I don't see my LAN network devices. Should I?

Kernel IP routing table

Destination       Gateway             Genmask               Metric  Ref   Use   Interface   Type    Flags

127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1            255.255.255.255     1          0     0       lo    Static   UP,Gateway,Host

192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0               255.255.255.0         0          0     0       bdg1    Dynamic   UP

192.168.100.0   192.168.100.1     255.255.255.0        1           0    0       bdg1    Dynamic   UP,Gateway

71.xxx.xxx.xxx  0.0.0.0               255.255.254.0         0         0      0      eth1    Dynamic   UP

71.xxx.xxx.xxx  71.xxx.xxx.xxx    255.255.254.0         1         0      0       eth1    Dynamic   UP,Gateway

239.0.0.0           0.0.0.0               255.0.0.0                0          0     0       bdg1    Dynamic   UP

0.0.0.0              71.xxx.xxx.xxx       0.0.0.0                    0          0     0       eth1    Dynamic   UP,Gateway

71.xxx.xxx.xxx is obviously the IP addreess for the router.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for posting. From the information you have provided, it appears that you have everything set up correctly with one exception. You need to have Remote Management enabled on the RV120W using port 443. (https) Log into the NAS and see if you can change it to use a port other than 443 (8080 should work). After you have the router set up for Remote Management on 443, test the connection again and see if you have different results. You should be able to ping and get a reply from all LAN devices. (Especially the NAS since it doesn't have third party firewall or antivirus software running) Please let us know if this helps or not.

Hello and thank you for your reply,

In the SeaGate GoFlex Home NAS drive I logged in and turned off the UPnP settings. These settings were using port 443, which had forced me to use port 60443 on the Cisco RV120W. By disabling the UPnP, I was able to set the UPnP back to 443. I could not change the port the GoFlex Home NAS drive was using. It only let me turn off the UPnP function.

There should not have been a port conflict, but I still could not ping the NAS drive.

Is the UPnP required for that NAS to work on the network? It WAS providing information to the router, but now it is not. It does still occupy an IP address on the router and I can still access the drive and web interface using the IP address.

The NAS uses a "Workgroup" for windows sharing. Right now it is set to the windows default of "WORKGROUP", which is the same on all computers, including the VPN client.

On the Cisco router, there is a required option for a domain. I have changed the domain from "cisco" to a personal domain name, although we don't have a domain on the network. Does this matter?

I feel like I am missing something that is preventing the QuickVPN from talking correctly to the router. I don't know enough about VPNs or Routers to know what that might be.

Are there any special settings I need to establish in Windows 7?

Thanks for the help. If I get this working, it will be a miracle and a life saver!

Chris

Update....

I still can't access any of the windows based computers. And, since the NAS I had would not let me configure it around port 443, I decided to build a Ubuntu Linux machine and set it up for file sharing. I figured I could control all the settings on it!

It worked! I was able to access the shared drive on the Ubuntu server!

BUT, now I am getting a "Can't access the remote gateway error. Want to wait?" ERROR....

I mean seriously, can't this VPN stuff work more efficiently? I think I am going to have to reset the router and rebuild everything from scratch. I still have about 10 days before I can't return the router, so I figure if I can't get it working by then, back it goes!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Christopher,

Were you able to get QuickVPN working again? Please let us know if you need any assistance.

Hello,

Well, I never did get any of the computers or NAS to work. I finally decided to build a Ubuntu linux file server to see if I could get it on the network. That did the trick. I was able to access the shared space on the server from the LAN network and through the VPN. So, although I didn't find a solution to my original problem, I was able to work out a solution which in the end should be better.

I would still love to find out why I couldn't connect to my windows 7 computers via the VPN....

Thanks,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: