cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV130W Internet Speed

Len Levin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that recently moved.  Their new Comcast Internet speed is 400 down.  When I connect their iMac through the RV130 and run the online Xfinity speediest, I only get around 120 down.  When I connect the iMac directly to the Comcast cable modem, which is in bridge (pass through) mode, I get around 400 down running the same speed test.  Is there anything I can do with the router to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Len Levin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Len,

Thank you for the update. At least some improvement you have observed in terms of speed.  I hope RV130W Router WAN port (connected to Comcast Cable Modem) is negotiating with 1 Gbps Full duplex, please verify the same. You may try to force that speed & duplex at both side (RV130W WAN & Comcast Modem LAN) and check the performance.

You may try to introduce one Switch between the RV130W Router WAN port and Comcast Cable Modem LAN port (if feasible), in case there is any compatibility issue happening between those two products.

Also please check once by enabling the ‘Jumbo Frame’ and ‘Flow Control’ on the WAN interface of the RV130W Router.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Len,

You may try changing the following settings…

1. Disable ‘Bandwidth Management’ option (Qos >> Bandwidth Management) on the RV130W Router.
  2. Disable ‘Bonjour’ service (Administration >> Bonjour)
  • Reduce the MTU size (Networking >> WAN) on WAN interface to 1472 or lower.

Note: Please make sure the Router firmware is latest (1.0.3.44).

In case the above steps are not helpful then you can check once by enabling the bandwidth management and edit the ‘Upstream’ & ‘Downstream’ traffic for the ‘Ethernet’ interface as per the ISP speed.

If still the issue persists then you can contact our support centre based on your region. Contact numbers are available on the following link…

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

I made the changes you suggested and saw a 20% increase in the Xfinity SpeedTest.

Anything else that you suggest I do.

Thanks.

Len

Hi Len,

Thank you for the update. At least some improvement you have observed in terms of speed.  I hope RV130W Router WAN port (connected to Comcast Cable Modem) is negotiating with 1 Gbps Full duplex, please verify the same. You may try to force that speed & duplex at both side (RV130W WAN & Comcast Modem LAN) and check the performance.

You may try to introduce one Switch between the RV130W Router WAN port and Comcast Cable Modem LAN port (if feasible), in case there is any compatibility issue happening between those two products.

Also please check once by enabling the ‘Jumbo Frame’ and ‘Flow Control’ on the WAN interface of the RV130W Router.

Sujoy,

Setting the WAN port on the RV130 Gigabit/Full did the trick

Thanks.

Len

Great !

I have the same problem. Done everything, what's above. My RV 130W still 180Mb/s max.

Hi Paul,

The above mentioned steps on this post should resolve the issue on most of the cases until or unless it is a hardware specific or compatibility issue. To investigate further regarding this issue you can contact our support centre based on your region, accordingly the required details can be gather considering your Network topology. Contact numbers are available on the following link…

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Paul,

How is the cable modem set?  Bridge/Passthru?  Are you using a wireless connection the the RV130W?

What does the speed test show when you are directly connected to the cable modem?

cbjwthwm
Level 1
Level 1

As a further update to this thread re: modern WAN-LAN routing speeds on this product line, I set up a RV130W yesterday on a Shaw 600/100 Mb cable connection and was pulling full ~650 Mb / 110 Mb speeds via Speedtest.net testing after install.

The router was updated to the latest r55 firmware, then defaulted and configured without the wizards.  QoS is off by default, and needs to stay disabled if you want to achieve full speeds on these type of connections as it generally disables hardware offloading features and puts you at the mercy of the router's processor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: