Views
Helpful
Replies

RV134W Static Subnet Routing

EU-GDPR-CITIZEN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Sorry if this is a FAQ -- I did check Configure Static Routing on an RV132W and RV134 Router (on several browsers an OS) but page redirects.

I wish to configure an RV134W to perform subnet routing from its public WAN IPv4 address, to a block of public IPv4 addresses for specific hosts on the LAN.  These hosts will either obtain their public addresses from the router's DHCP server allocating a fixed IP address from the public IPv4 block by reserved MAC assignment, or will not use the DHCP server and have their addresses statically configured locally.  These hosts must not be subject to NAT.  These hosts must be subject to the router's firewall.

A second group of hosts on the LAN are to be allocated private IPv4 addresses by the router's DHCP server, and are to be subject to NAT and use the router's WAN IPv4 address located at the start of the public IPv4 block.

On the router that it is replacing, a Technicolor DWA0120, "Subnet Routing" as they call it, is configured in the router's WAN configuration pages.  What is the equivalent and how is it used on the RV134W please?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The RV132W and RV134W do not support subnet routing from its WAN IPv4 address so you can't accomplish your first goal. You can only use One-to-One NAT to map a range of external public IP addresses to a private range of internal addresses. There are some routers on the market that implement "Subnet Routing" on the WAN  but Cisco Small Business routers do not support that functionality. 

Bridging and One-to-One Natting can be used to make things happen but those are supported on the IOS-based Cisco routers like ISRs, ASRs, etc.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the IP address is static Assignment? what subnet?

if this is a bigger subnet more than /30 then subnet and use in the LAN side different VLAN, and exclude them from NAT config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your reply,

> Is the IP address is static Assignment?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

> what subnet?

It's just a /29

> if this is a bigger subnet more than /30

By bigger subnet do mean a greater number of station addresses?

> then subnet and use in the LAN side different VLAN, and exclude them from NAT
config.

Sorry, I didn't understand that.

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The RV132W and RV134W do not support subnet routing from its WAN IPv4 address so you can't accomplish your first goal. You can only use One-to-One NAT to map a range of external public IP addresses to a private range of internal addresses. There are some routers on the market that implement "Subnet Routing" on the WAN  but Cisco Small Business routers do not support that functionality. 

Bridging and One-to-One Natting can be used to make things happen but those are supported on the IOS-based Cisco routers like ISRs, ASRs, etc.

Regards,

Martin

> Hi EU-GDPR-CITIZEN,

Hi there Martin,

> The RV132W and RV134W do not support subnet routing from its WAN IPv4 address so
you can't accomplish your first goal. You can only use One-to-One NAT to map a
range of external public IP addresses to a private range of internal addresses.
There are some routers on the market that implement "Subnet Routing" on the WAN,
but Cisco Small Business routers do not support that functionality.

> Bridging and One-to-One Natting can be used to make things happen but those are
supported on the IOS-based Cisco routers like ISRs, ASRs, etc.

> Regards, Martin

Ironically, I bought it over other brands on the basis that "it's Cisco, sure it
will support it". Two routers targeted at the SME market, the Technicolor and
Vodafone's DSL router, support it.

Fair-enough, I'll sell it on as NOB -- I've had it less than 48h -- and repurpose
one of a number of decommissioned IOS-based routers providing they'll take a
EHWIC-VA-DSL and I don't tire of the fan noise. Otherwise, sure, there are plastic
body low-power fanless entry-level routers from other manufacturers that will do it
out of the box.

Will mark as closed. Thanks to all that took the trouble to reply to my request
for help.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: