cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV160 Router - VLAN Routing with Inter VLAN Routing OFF

RossSnow41537
Level 1
Level 1

I am a little hung up on this routing behavior. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

A network diagram of what I am working with is attached.

I have 4 VLANs on an RV160 router. On three of them I have enabled inter vlan routing, on one, VLAN 3, I have it disabled.

When I jump on any VLAN other than 3, I cannot ping VLAN 3. However, when I jump on VLAN 3 I can ping devices on the other VLANs. In fact, I can ping devices on the switch, which is across a trunk port where I specifically have VLAN 3 excluded.

What am I missing? All of the clients on VLAN 3 are wireless. Does that affect tagging? Maybe that is causing an issue?

I can put in ACLs to block the traffic from the VLAN 3 subnet, which I have done, but I would like to understand the inter vlan routing better. 

Thank You. 

5 Replies 5

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ross,

Whether you are wired or wirelessly connected this should not affect tagging and the inter-VLAN routing. If I am right from what I see in your network topology you have SSID to VLAN3 mapping only on the RV160W radios. Do you have configured VLAN3 for your Wi-Fi clients on both 2.4 and 5GHz radios? 

Regards,

Martin

Martin,

That is correct. VLAN 3 is only configured on the RV160 wireless, no where else. 

I don't see an option to do what you described. There is no VLAN configuration for the individual radios, only the whole SSID. 

Also, as I mentioned, The trunk port between the RV160 and the SG350 is configured on the RV160 to exclude VLAN 3. So, I don't understand how I can ping a device on the AP connected to the SG350 in VLAN2. 

The trunk interface on the SG350 is configured as:

interface GigabitEthernet1
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-2

Screenshots of the router configuration are attached. 

Thanks Again. 

Hello Ross,

At first sight, all seems good. Have you checked if Wi-Fi clients get really VLAN3 IP addresses? Does the RV160 act as a DHCP server for all VLANs? Have you configured any routing on the RV?

Regards,

Martin

Yes Sir, all the clients on that SSID get a VLAN3 IP. 

The RV160 is the DHCP client for VLANs 1,3,5. The SG350 is the DHCP server for VLAN2. The RV160 is a relay for that DHCP service. I have looked at all of this, and it seems to be working properly. 

The routing configured on the RV160 is 'inter vlan routing enabled' on VLANs 1,2,5 and disabled on 3. Then there is a static route from the RV160 to the SG350 for all of the VLAN 2 traffic: 192.168.2.0 -> 192.168.1.2 via VLAN1.

The SG350 has a default gateway back to the RV160: 192.168.1.1. 

Regards,

Ross

I made a typo in the above. The RV160 is the DHCP *server* for VLANs 1,2 and 5. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: