cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 and iPhone Wi-Fi Calling

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

A Cisco RV180 Small Business Router powers my small business' network. I use an iPhone 5s on T-Mobile running iOS 8, so I have access to Wi-Fi Calling (my Wireless Access Point is an ASUS AC-1900 set only as a Wireless Access Point, not a router; the RV180 is the router/DHCP). 

Sometimes, when performing data intensive tasks on the network (downloading a large file for example), and I receive or make a call using my iPhone over Wi-Fi Calling, I'll notice my calling gets a little garbled or my call quality drops in and out.

Is there a way to set the QoS settings on the RV180 to prioritize Wi-Fi Calling to the iPhone when downloading large files? I know the MAC Address of the iPhone and have the IP address DHCP reserved in the RV180.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

I talked with a Cisco support engineer, and here's what we've accomplished so far:

• We created three Custom Services: UDP 5060-5061, TCP 5060-5061, and UDP 40000-59999.
  • We port forwarded the iPhone to each of the three above services, internal Ports 5060 and 40000.
  • We enabled SIP ALG.
  • We created a WAN QoS Profile marked High.
  • We setup profile binding for the iPhone to each of the above three services.
  • If we still have issues, we're going to attempt to create a second VLAN to route traffic from one of the SSID's on the Asus AC-1900 just for the iPhone itself so the iPhone has its own VLAN for voice traffic. Hopefully, we won't have to go there though.

The rating here was a typo mistake. was not trying to rate the answer.

No worries. By the way, if you have anything to chime in with on this, feel free to. I need to run more tests, but I'm hoping to make my Wi-Fi Calling audio clearer when doing hefty downloads. 

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

Chatted with T-Mobile on Twitter, and here are two tweets with more information concerning this. 

https://twitter.com/tmobilehelp/status/636071045779312640

https://twitter.com/tmobilehelp/status/636071048883109888

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: