cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 dropping connections every 10 minutes or so

asolochek
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco RV180 hooked up to a  cisco cable modem and Cox service. 

The basic symptoms of the problem are that every 10 minutes or so external connections will hang.  This lasts maybe 20-60 seconds.  If you're loading a website when this happens, various parts of it won't load and firefox will sit and spin indefinitely (it seems) until you manually stop the loading and click the reload button.

When this is happening I can still connect to the routers webserver and dashboard that auto-refreshes every 10 seconds.  It seems perfectly fine.  My initial theory was that something was broken on the Cox end of things, but after swapping out the RV180 with an old on-q router we had laying around, we haven't seen the problems. 

Some other differences I've noticed between the on-q and the rv180:

* with the rv180 traceroute to external hosts shows a big delay (500-600ms) at the hop right after the router.  With the on-q, it's 12ms. 

* when I ping the ip of that hop with the large delay, with the on-q I get no responses.  With the rv180 I would get these strange host redirect messages that make it look like that ip is redirecting to itself.  There would be 1 or 2 of those redirect responses, followed by 3 or 4 errors, and every packet would be listed as an error in the ping summary. 

Does anyone have ideas of what to try to further debug this problem?

Thank you.

-Aaron

16 Replies 16

JLOGSDON1
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing this exact same issue. It's frustratring because I've installed this router to replace a RV110W that wasn't allowing inbound port forwarding about once a day. Now I have this new RV180W and the port forwarding seems to work fine but the internet seems to hang on just about every page. So far I have:

1. Upgraded to the latest firmware

2. Used the MTU test and manually set it to 1472

3. Disabled all Firewall Attack Prevention options

Still I am experiencing connection problems with every other internet page.

Jeremy

brunorodrigues
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like this problem persists even with the new 1.0.2.6 firmware. It's so bad to buy a product that can do so much but can't do a simple thing as the NAT protocol. That's the cause of the timeout problems.