Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 IPv6CP

Having trouble registering this router to my ISP via PPPoE and getting native IPv6 running. Specifically, I am not recieving the ISP default gateway. Does this router fully implement IPv6CP protocol?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

5 Replies 5

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Bruce,

My name is Chris, I work at the Cisco Small Business Support Center, let me see if I can help you.

According to the data sheet from this router, it does support the following for IPv6:

Dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6

Stateless address auto-configuration

DHCP v6 client for WAN connectivity

Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) v6

With IPv6 there is no default gateway option in DHCP, that information is obtained through something called route advertising.  RA uses Neighbor Discovery Protocol and ICMPv6. 

One of the common problems that happens is the firewall blocks the ICMP messages needed to make Route Advertising work correctly.  Try setting up an access rule to always allow ICMP messages through the firewall.

There have also been reports of some ISPs not quite setting up Route Advertising correctly, especially Comcast.

Let me know if allowing ICMP through solves the problem,

Christopher Ebert

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

From what I can tell, my ISP (Teksavvy DSL) does not support DHCPv6 on the WAN side, they support a protocol called IPv6CP for configuring the WAN. Is that related to ICMP ?

No luck setting up an ICMP rule. From what I am being told, a router must absolutely be able to support IPv6CP in order to use native iPv6 over PPPoE. This would seem to be a glaring product issue, wouldn't it?

Ok, im a bit confused. Is this end of the support process?

So I have looked just about everywhere, and asked around here at the Small Business Support Center, and the short answer is:

No, the RV180 does not support IPv6CP.  Since it (or the RFC describing it) aren't listed on the data sheet, it is not a supported option.  Like I said above it does support stateless autoconfigure and DHCPv6.  It is also possible to setup a static route for IPv6, but you would need that info from your provider.

You can look over the data sheet for the RV180 here, and basically if it isn't listed there, it is safe to assume it is not an option:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10907/ps9923/ps11995/c78-697397_data_sheet.html

Christopher Ebert

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: