cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 nf_conntrack table full, dropping packets

asolochek
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of days ago, after a suggestion in a old forum post (rv180 dropping connections every 10 minutes or so) I tried increasing the various session timeouts.  This didn't seem to affect anything for the first day, but last night the router started becoming unresponsive (not responding to pings, but maybe continuing to route established connections.) After a couple minutes the router would be pingable again, and as soon as i could I reverted the changes I made to the session timeouts.  That didn't seem to fix the problem.  Logs showed many many warnings saying "nf_conntrack table full, dropping packet."

Then as soon as I got on the phone with small business support the problem seemed to correct itself.  The only thing we changed was decreasing the MTU to 1472.  It is strange that the MTU would make a difference all of the sudden, isn't it?  If everything continues to work well for a while I can try increasing it back to the default and see if that causes the issues to return, but I thought I'd post here to find out if anyone else has seen those warning messages, or knows what to settings those relate to.

Thanks.

-Aaron

1 Reply 1

janickle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Such a message would be generated by an excessive amount of traffic flowing through the device.  If the MTU size was set by the Cisco Small Business team I would leave it at that setting.  In addition I would ensure that the settings that were made to the session timeouts was returned back to their default.

Can you tell me more about the type of traffic traversing the RV180 and how often do you see these symptoms? (bit torrent, Netflix, VPN)

Thank you,

Jason Nickle