cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 Not Pingable Outside LAN

EOppegaard
Level 1
Level 1

Alright, I have a pretty basic question I have been scratching my head over.

I am having ongoing issues with my ISP over extreme latency, and wildly varying bandwidth values. I have DSL modem in bridge mode, connected to a Cisco RV180 router with a static IP from the ISP.

There must be something I am missing, because I keep trying to run the ping test from DSLreports.com and it continues to tell me that my IP is not pingable. What am I missing here?

The public IP address is pingable from the internal LAN, however when I try to ping it from an external connection, it always times out.

Any ideas? Would also be interested in other tools to be able to show ISP (and community) the problems they have with regards to their service.

Thanks for the help in advance!

ISP: SmartCity DSL, static IP

Modem: ZHONE 1151-A1-NA REV:D1

Router: Cisco RV180

We also have a Catalyst switch, and a smaller d-link gigabit switch. We run a mix of Mac/Windows 7, and a Synology NAS.Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 4.37.47 PM.png

1 Reply 1

vvijaysa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eric,

I think the problem is with your modem/ISP. Try disconnecting RV180 from your modem and doing the same test again. If the problem persists, see whether you have any security settings on your modem preventing your ping. Else, contact your ISP.

Let me know if it didn't work,

Thanks,

Vijay

Please rate useful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: