cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 Port Triggering and DMZ host issues

hugg727nj
Level 1
Level 1

So I have spent several hours in these forums and all over the internet looking at as much information as I could about the issues with this router. I am not an engineer but I am in the IT industry and I am comfortable with setting up switches/routers/wifi etc.  Having said that, setting up this router defies logic.

It is my understanding that Port Triggering is nothing more than a "dynamic version" of Port Forwarding.  I can get PF to forward ports to one static ip yet I need it to forward to more than one host.  Thus the need for PT, yet it does not work on this router.  It is also my understanding that when you put a host in the DMZ, ALL ports should go to that host. So I have tried running both PF and DMZ Host at the same time, is there a problem with doing that.  My host in the DMZ is still not getting all the ports, yet my PF host seems fine.  I thought there might be an Access Rule specifically for the DMZ but there is not one listed in the menus. I have static ip's on both and I have turned UPNP off.

Thoughts?

1 Reply 1

hugg727nj
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully this will help someone else out there that had problems with this router and trying to get their NAT to open up for multiple Xbox's.  The bottom line is, turn on UPNP and set everything on your consoles to automatic, DHCP,DNS,etc.

I tried everything, DMZ host for one and port forwarding for the other was close but I could never get both to be open. I finally achieved an open NAT on both Xbox's when I turned UPNP on, and did 2 things: 1) I changed the "Advertisemnt Period" from the default(1800) to the maximun,86400 seconds and 2) changed the "Advertisenent Time to Live" from its default (4) to its mas (255).  After I rebooted the router I connected both Xbox's and ran the connection test to XBL.....both were now connecting with open NATs.  I then went back into the router's UPnP screen and clicked the refresh button for the UPnP Portmap table and instantly saw that both consoles were using port 3074/UDP. This was pretty normal but what wasnt were the other 2 entries. One console opened port 22084 for UDP and the other  opened port 10694/UDP.  I tested further playing MW3 on one and starting a Netflix  app on the other, nothing changed in that table after i refreshed.  What is very odd is that, other than 3074, I didn't see any of the ports that we have all been told to open up, 53, 80 and 88.

If anything changes I will post an update here but so far this works.