cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 - QuickVPN The remote gateway is not repsonding

trademark16
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RV180 router and i am trying to use the Quick VPN Client version 1.4.2.1. It works fine on my Windows 7 pc, and worked successfully once on the windows XP sp3 pc. But now the XP pc will not work.

What looks strange is in the VPN Client Connection Status on the router I see the status is Online, however the XP pc will not ping anything on the network or connect to the RDP pc i want. The QuickVPN Client hangs on "Verifying Network".

I tried the suggestions i saw online:

Disabling Firewall

Enabling Firewall

Making user name shorter

Allowing for PING on WAN (replies all come back fast)

Reboot Router

Upgraded firmware to 1.0.1.9

I did not adjust the MTU rate as i was not sure what to change it too.

AV is AVG 2012.

Any help would be great.

7 Replies 7

trademark16
Level 1
Level 1

One correction, it does not hang on Verifying Network.  After about 30 seconds it comes back with the message "The remote gateway is not responding"  Then we disconnect.

I am havong the same issue since I bought RVS 4000 a month ago. I have tried all the suggestions on all the forums..buit to no avail.

Cisco RVS4000

QuickVPN Client is on WIndows 7 64bit

I really dont know what and where it is being blocked..

it stops at "verifying network"

And without any change anywhere.. (on RVS) it works on XP from same network.. everything same..

Any one please Help!!!!!!!

Logs

012/12/16 18:55:44 [STATUS]Connecting...

2012/12/16 18:55:44 [DEBUG]Input VPN Server Address = ssbcty.no-ip.org

2012/12/16 18:55:45 [STATUS]Connecting to remote gateway with IP address: 74.12.22.12

2012/12/16 18:55:52 [STATUS]Remote gateway was reached by https ...

2012/12/16 18:55:52 [STATUS]Provisioning...

2012/12/16 18:56:01 [STATUS]Success to connect.

2012/12/16 18:56:01 [STATUS]Tunnel is configured. Ping test is about to start.

2012/12/16 18:56:01 [STATUS]Verifying Network...

2012/12/16 18:56:07 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2012/12/16 18:56:10 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2012/12/16 18:56:13 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2012/12/16 18:56:16 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2012/12/16 18:56:19 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2012/12/16 18:56:23 [WARNING]Ping was blocked, which can be caused by an unexpected disconnect.

2012/12/16 18:56:26 [STATUS]Disconnecting...

2012/12/16 18:56:32 [STATUS]Success to disconnect.

One sure cure I've found for this issue on Windows7 is that one, and only one, network connection can be active when the QVPN software is connected. If you have both a wired and a wireless connection at the same time (or a virtual machine with a NIC connected to a hardware adapter and another connected to a "host only" network), the client will connect but the ping test will fail.

Check "ipconfig" in a cmd shell window, and make sure only one adapter has an active IPV4 address.

- Paul

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Thomas,

If you are connecting with a Win XP machine the windows firewall has to be off. If you are connecting with a Win Vista/7 machine the windows firewall has to be on. Try turning off the windows firewall on the win xp machine and you should be good to go at that point.

The reason the router will show a connection is up is because the tunnel does get built.. after the tunnel is built the QVPN software will send a test ping through the tunnel and it will come back through the tunnel to your PC. If there is something on your PC that will block ICMP pings then you normally get the "remote gateway is not responding". So usually its best to make sure you don't have any virus programs running that could block this connection.. but usually I never run into this issue with AVG so you should be fine running that.

Hope that works out for you!

Thanks,
Clayton Sill

Good morning folk

Thanks for using our forum

My name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community. To add to Clinton post, depending of your Windows version (Vista, 7 , Xp), you have to set up your firewall in different  in order to allow comunication, for example:

Windows XP: firewall must be off

Windows 7 : Firewall must be on, and create 2 two rules.

I´ll share a documentation about it in order to help you.

Also in your router Go Firewall>General, Disable Block WAN Request  and Enable Remote Management

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=2922

I hope you find this answer useful, if it was satisfactory  for you, please mark the question as Answered. Please rate post you consider useful.

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco network support engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

It is quite disappointing to see such a poor offering from Cisco.

The QuickVPN Client is nasty and has cost me a good 4 hours of testing today, of course this includes trolling the forums for answers.

I can only thank the forum participants for their posts even though these post didn't give any definitive answers it lead me in the correct direction culminating in a successful result.

A word for Jonathan. As a Cisco Support Tech you should have done your home work. Your post above directs customers to disable an important feature and to enable a feature which again introduces a possible point of attack, and you do not need to disable the Windows XP firewall simply set it up correctly.

The setup I was working with.

2 rv042's which are in different sites. These sites have a device to device IKE tunnel established (Works seamlessly).

Site 1 being the primary site houses the infrastructure.

Site 2 is a branch office, all services are supplied from site 1 via the Device to Device VPN tunnel.

Production VPN is via PPTP passthru to a Windows SBS Server in Site 1. (Port 1723 forward)

Everything here works fine. I must say I'm very impressed with the capability, performance and stability of the RV042.

What I was trying to achieve was to give myself a second method to securely connect to the main (site1) and branch (site 2) sites when and if the server was down.

To achieve this I wanted to use the Cisco QuickVPN Client. I did get this to work on Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x86.

The RV042's are version 3 running firmware v4.2.1.02.

I'm using QuickVPN version 1.4.2.1

Somewhere in the forums I read a post which mentioned the Cisco support tech asked them to delete all defined users in VPN Client Access.

I initially did this then recreated my certs and exported them. But it didn't work.

Without babbling on.

The catch seemed to be to create the certificates and export them. Then setup the users. (of course then put the client cert in the "Cisco Small Business\QuickVPN Client" folder)

I tested this by creating a user before exporting the certs. It fails. I then deleted the user and recreated it.. Works a treat..

The other issues were :-

You must include the QuickVPN Client in your Windows firewall obviously allowing it..

Under Windows7 in the QuickVPN clients Server Address field you must use the IP address not the host name..

What a great way to waste 5 hours.

Cisco. You should be ashamed of this piece of software and it's inadequate documentation.

I hope this helps some poor sod minimise the time they waste configuring something which should be so very simple.

Regards

Mark Sherwin

Hi Thomas, we appreciate your comment, we are already working in this case, we agree with you, if you have any doubt or question, please contact our support team.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: