cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 router having problems disconnecting IPSEC pass

kogashuko
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so I picked up this RV180 router because it has one of the fastest thru speeds of all the routers tested that I viewed on smallnetbuilder. That and it has the cisco name. I grew tired of purchasing wireless home routers every year after they fail. So far the thing is nice with one exception.

I have one device that is essential on my network called an airave. It is a small device similar to a wireless access point that works on springs voice network. The thing essentially makes a small cell tower inside your house and connects to the sprint network through an Ipsec vpn. I have not ability to change ipsec settings on the device on my end. The device works fine connected to the cable modem or to the old slow dlink. When I first connect the thing it works fine for about 5-10 minutes on the cisco. Then the thing loses connection and I lose my cell phone service. Just to test any port conflicts I made this the the DMZ with no luck. A little research showed some people had similar problems with ipsec passthought. https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2158686

I have also tried a firmware upgrade. I have not messed with any of the firewall settings or port forwarding since DMZ should in theory fix that. I have assigned the thing a fixed IP address but that does not seem to make a difference. It did not on my old router and is mostly just for my sanity and to facilitate the DMZ. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

cindy toy
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Matthew,

Please call the Small Business Support Center and speak with an engineer.  The phone numbers are located here:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Thanks, I will call hopefully tomorow. I learned something interesting. I do no think this issue is limited to ipsec. I attempted to play an online game Battlefield 3 on the network tonight. I noticed that the game connected and the airave reconnected at the same time. At almost exactly 10 minute intervils I lost connection to the game and the airave at the same time. This I think rules out IPSEC and throws it back on a compatability issue with the router and other items on the network. That or a setting in the routher....

Ok I might have located the problem. I wanted to exaust all issues before calling.

It seems that there is a timeout option for all connections TCP/UDP or otherwise. I simply made the time outs longer and it seems to have fixed the problem. I think. I will do more testing tomorrow. But by adding a 9 to the front of all the settings I played battlefield 3 for over an hour and have had a solid connection on the airave. Hope this fixes it.

Still working this morning. This is what I did.

Under "Firewall", "Advanced Settings", and "Session Setting." I added 99  in front of all of the timeout settings. The settings do not specify if  they are in seconds or what.

If customer service could chime in, I do plan on calling but I am looking to help more people than just me, is this just an issue where the routers timeout settings are a little too short for the divice to maintain a connection or do the time out settings need to be as long as I want the thing to stay connected?