Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 Router performance problem

michailidisg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I use an RV180 Router for internet, the router is directly connected to the cable modem from the provider.

Behind the RV180 I use a Netgear SRX5308 firewall which protects the LAN.

Hostname:             CiscoRV180

Firmware-Version:   1.0.1.9

Seriennummer:       SER163201MC

CPU:     14 %

Memory:    68.00 % (43.52/64 MB)

I don't use the Router as Gateway (NAT), I use the router routing-modus.

I have a performance problem with the RV180 and want to disable the SPI (firewall) on the RV180, I think that the enabled SPI is the reason for the poor internet performance.

I bought the RV180 a few weeks ago to replace my old Draytek router, with the old router I was able to use my whole 100 Mbit bandwith, but with the RV180 the maximum speed is round about 50 Mbit. I don't found any information about the router performance with activated SPI, and I think that the enabled firewall is the reason for the poor performance.

But I can't find any option to disable SPI on the router, can somebody give me a hint where I can disable SPI ?

Greets

Georg

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business - routers". You can move your post using the actions panel on right side.

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Georg, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. I apologize for your inconvenience you are having, I have a couple of questions for you, what firmware are you running? the current firmware is 1.0.2.6, bellow you will see the link to download it.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005904&softwareid=282465789&release=1.0.2.6

You could create a backup from your configuration before update the firmware and please perform a factory reset as soonest you install the new firmware, then, when you finished this process you could set just the necessary configuration in order to verify the connection speed. Also you are right, sometimes the SPI could reduce the performance inspecting a the traffic.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Louis,

I installed the latest firmware and did what you mentioned.

But now it is more worse than before.

the maximum download speed is < 10 Mbit with the new firmware.

I changed back to my old Vigor router and with the Vigor I have full download speed.

Is there a option to disable SPI on the RV180, because of the performance problem the RV180 is unasable for me with enabled firewall.

Greets

Georg

Hi Georg, I am sorry to hear your having this situation, I would like to help you, so to be able to try this, please connect your modem directly to the PC, then run a speed test, if the speed is normal connect your modem again to the WAN and your computer to the LAN, access to the Graphic User interface and please go to Networking > WAN (Internet) > IPv4 WAN (Internet) and choose your PC MAC address. Your device will set your own PC mac address

Let me know if it works for you.

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I'm interested to see a solution to this.  I was considering getting an rv180 to help use all the bandwidth of a 100/10 connection I now have, but I want to see a solution first.  I can't believe smallnetbuilder saw over 700mbps if you're only seeing 50mbps.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com