Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 VLANs not using respective IPs

kjohnson22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to VLANs but I did spend significant time trying to find an answer here or on the Net.

Situation:

I have the RV180 VPN K9-G5 with Firmware 1.0.4.14 connected to a cable modem via the RV180s-WAN-port. I am trying to create 3 VLANs which don´t see each other´s machines but can all access the Internet. I didn´t change any settings other than setting up these VLANs. (to be complete: To Port 1 a WLAN-Router is connected which is configured to be a WLAN-Accesspoint only (no dhcp, ip-sharing, nat, firewall), so this machine shouldn´t interfere).

Accessing the Internet from VLAN30 works fine.

Problems:

connected to Port-2=VLAN30 on my admin-PC....

a)  ...I can see all Hosts on all VLANs (using a portscanner). Why not only the Ips of VLAN 30?

b) ... all machines in all VLANs have IPs 192.168.1.* (see admin-PC attached). Why not 192.168.1.4.* for my admin-PC?

VLAN IDDescriptionInter VLAN RoutingDevice ManagementPort 1Port 2Port 3Port 4 
1DefaultDisabledEnabledUntaggedUntaggedTaggedTagged 
10NorbertDisabledDisabledExcludedExcludedUntaggedExcluded 
20JürgenDisabledDisabledExcludedExcludedExcludedUntagged 
30KevinEnabledEnabledTaggedTaggedExcludedExcluded 

IPv4 Address                192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0
IPv6 Address  
DHCP Server                Enabled
DHCP Relay                 Disabled
DHCPv6 Server IPv6   is disabled

VLAN IDDescriptionInter VLAN RoutingDevice ManagementPort 1Port 2Port 3Port 4 
1DefaultDisabledEnabledUntaggedUntaggedTaggedUntagged 
10NorbertDisabledEnabledExcludedExcludedUntaggedExcluded 
20JürgenDisabledDisabledExcludedExcludedExcludedTagged 
30KevinEnabledEnabledTaggedTaggedExcludedExcluded 

next test:

To find out where my 192.168.1.*-IPs are coming from I then numbered all "Domains" in all Subnets as "Cisco1" for VLAN1 and "Cisco10" for VLAN10 etc.. After ipconfig/renew I could see that my IPs are coming from VLAN-ID 1 by checking the DNS-Suffix.

But even when I deactivated the IPV4-LAN-DHCP-Server I receive IPs from  192.168.1.*-IPs. Why?

Thanks so much. Probably I am lacking some basic understanding.

Kevin

1 Reply 1

kjohnson22
Level 1
Level 1

I solved the Problem. It was due to the DHCP-Lease time. After lowering it to an hours or releasing the ip-address the new IP addresses came through.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: