Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 Windows Firewall Settings for Gateway to Gateway

bigides1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 RV180's connected via Gateway to Gateway. It works fine when I have the Windows Firewall turned off on both PC's. Obviously this means that I need to have an exception rule in the Windows Firewall in order to use the Windows Firewall. Does anyone by chance know what exception (inbound/outbound) rules that I need to set in order to use the Gateway to Gateway?

Thanks!

Ben

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ben, this is a windows configuration. To answer the question, using Windows 7 navigate;

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall

and then "Advanced Settings" on the left side.

Essentially, you need to allow exception for each remote subnet within the firewall. By default windows block all traffic not a member of its LAN.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom, thanks for the quick reply. Do you have any examples of Inbound or Outbound rules that I should change for remote subnets? I see a lot of different rules and operations and not sure where to start. For example, I see a handful of Remote Assistance rules. Do I change all of those?

Idealy I would like to know of all the different exceptions so that I still maintain a decent firewall. Obviously the easy thing to do is to turn off Windows firewall altogether, but I would rather turn off the specific inbound/outbound rules.

Thanks!

Ben

Any advice on this? thanks!

Hi Ben, this inquiry is better suited for the Microsoft forums.  Here is a process I made on my Window 7 computer. I can't test it since I'm at home but it should work. This is just an example, which you will have to modify IP addresses, services, etc for your own needs.

1.)  Open your firewall and go to advanced settings

2.) Click Connection Security Rules

3.) Navigate to Action -> New Rule

4.) Select option "Custom"

5.)  Specify the IP addresses or subnets

6.) Modify endpoint 1 to suit your needs, my example is the whole 192.168.1.0/24 subnet

7.) Modify the endpoint 2 to suit your needs, my example is 192.168.2.0/24

8.)  Choose the requirement for the inbound and outbound connections

9.) Choose the authenticate method

10.) Choose the services or ports you want to allow, my example I chose all (all traffic without restrction)

11.) Specify the profile

12.) Name the profile and put a description (this is very important so you have some form of idea what is going on when you look back at these rules)

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: