cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W add access point with roaming support

jeepdc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with a RV180w running the latest firmware.  We are currently using the router as a router and to provide wireless access.  We want to add wireless coverage and I am interested in our options.  We have a ethernet backbone which we could use to give the new AP LAN connectivity.  Can we buy another RV180W and use it in AP mode and provide roaming wireless connectivty.  The client wants a guest and business WLAN so we will use the VLAN feature of the router.  How do we configure the new AP?  Do we need to use WDS?   If we use WDS, can we still use WPA2?  Thank you for your assistance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Carl,

Yes is possible to use WDS and WPA2 at the same time.

The master AP will be setup as a RADIUS server to authenticate the other APs while the clients use WPA2-PSK which is set the same on each AP.

Let me share with you the information found about  WDS and basic configuration, found on the guide me section.

WDS configuration:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=ea8660ccb0cf4ae99cebfafd4303cdc1_WDS_Configuration_on_RV180W.xml&pid=4&fcid=&fpid=&slnid=13

RV180W configuration:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=dd5990ef4ad947ae89da5c3e0b8bd985_Wireless_Configuration_on_RV180W.xml&pid=4&fcid=&fpid=&slnid=4

If this answer was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

View solution in original post

No, If all access points use the same channel they will interfere. You would need to put one on 1, one on 6, and one on 11 and so on.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Carl,

Yes is possible to use WDS and WPA2 at the same time.

The master AP will be setup as a RADIUS server to authenticate the other APs while the clients use WPA2-PSK which is set the same on each AP.

Let me share with you the information found about  WDS and basic configuration, found on the guide me section.

WDS configuration:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=ea8660ccb0cf4ae99cebfafd4303cdc1_WDS_Configuration_on_RV180W.xml&pid=4&fcid=&fpid=&slnid=13

RV180W configuration:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=dd5990ef4ad947ae89da5c3e0b8bd985_Wireless_Configuration_on_RV180W.xml&pid=4&fcid=&fpid=&slnid=4

If this answer was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

Great. All the AP's need to use the same channel, right?

No, If all access points use the same channel they will interfere. You would need to put one on 1, one on 6, and one on 11 and so on.

Thanks.

I am dealing with a similar setup to the initial post.  We have an RV180W setup in routing mode with an eithernet riser going up a building.  At each floor, where we have a standard switch located, we would want to add an access point for wireless connectivity. 

My quesiton: Other than getting another RV180W and putting it in Access Point mode, are there any gotchas to look out for when selectiing a basic access point to be compatible with and managed by the RV180W?

We want to distribute wireless connectivity at each floor, but not at the cost of having to manage each access point individually. 

Tyler,

I would not buy any more RV180Ws.  Also, for what you describe the RV180 is not really the correct device.  I think you need something like a Cisco 2500 wireless controller and supported access points.  The Cisco moderators can give you better information.

FYI, I never had good luck using RV180W with each other.  Every client I tried would not roam.  The wireless connection would drop and not re-connect.

--

Doug

Doug, thank you for the info.  I have a dumb question.  On the network we already have established with the RV180W, is it possible to have a 2500 wireless controller and associated access points live on the same network?  That is to say, would it be necessary to upgrade the existing RV180W?