cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180w - CPU on 100% all the time

Johannes Kingma
Level 1
Level 1

The dashboard of the RV180w shows among other things the CPU Resorce Uitlitzation. On our device this is alway at 100% which seems good value for money :-) max it out.

I'm not sure however if this measure is indicative of a problem in the RV180. We have rebooted and reflashed the the RV180 with much the same results.

Is the Resource Unitlization of CPU correct?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Johannes,

It sounds like it is reporting the CPU usage incorrectly since you are placing a light load on it. Hopefully the next firmware will fix that.

- Marty

View solution in original post

I wouldn't worry about this unless you need the CPU meter for something.  Various bugs are created and fixed with every firmware update, so find what works for you and stick to it.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Johnanes,

Are you on the latest firmware (1.0.3.10)? I recall a discussion where someone said that the utilization is not being displayed correctly on the RV180(W) and the issue will be resolved in a future firmware. It seems like it was some time ago, probably before the latest release.

I know that we had an issue with the RV220W at one point where it showed that only half of the actual RAM was installed and it appeard that the RAM usage was much higher than it actually was. That has been corrected in the most recent firmwares.

That being said, is it possble that you are placing a heavy load on the device? How many devices are connected and how much traffic are they passing?

- Marty

Thanks for your questions

The RV180w is on the latest firmware. For other reasones I have flashed the device new but the CPU is reported as 100% there is virtually no traffic. Two of the ports is connected to a switches which handles LAN traffic. Also an external DHCP and DNS server is deployed. So the only thing that is active on the RV180 is the firewall and the bridging von WAN to LAN.

Johannes,

It sounds like it is reporting the CPU usage incorrectly since you are placing a light load on it. Hopefully the next firmware will fix that.

- Marty

still not repaired on firmware 1.0.5.4

So it was broken again in 1.0.5.4 as it was reported fixed in 1.0.4.14.

I wouldn't worry about this unless you need the CPU meter for something.  Various bugs are created and fixed with every firmware update, so find what works for you and stick to it.

It would even be more helpfull not to report anything if it is broken. I'd stick with that, if I were you :-)

I'm unimpressed.

Unfortunately, finding your own solution to an issue that's bug-related is the fastest way to resolve issues, and many times the only way besides replacing the device with another brand/version that doesn't have the same issue.  This isn't just limited to cisco as I've dealt with all brands of smb products with similar support.

Definitely not impressive, but a fact of the product market.  You can step up to enterprise-grade equipment and won't have these issues, but then again the cost will be 4x+.

Johannes Kingma
Level 1
Level 1

Firmware 1.0.4.14 seems to have repaired this error

leibtek
Level 1
Level 1

Had the same issue (RV180 FW: 1.0.5.4), fix it by disabling the "WAN Traffic Meter".

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: