Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W gateway

andrius.u
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have Cisco RV180W and want to configure two SSID`s on separate VALN`s.

How to set gateway for VLAN 2?

Real gateway is 192.168.2.1, but when i connect to with notebook, i receive 192.168.2.2 as gateway...

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100(Preferred)
 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

hello Andrius

from your description is seems that you don't want to use RV180W (with IP 192.168.2.2) as Gateway for VLAN2, but instead there is another gateway on that VLAN available with IP 192.168.2.1 which you want to use. is that correct?

if so, you have to use external DHCP server (not RV180W) as you can't define another default gateway there. In RV180W the gateway address is selected as IP address of RV180W interface which is assigned to that VLAN.

In this case you have two option:

1. use different DHCP server (not RV180W) from another subnet, and simply change DHCP mode for VLAN 2 from "DHCP Server" to "DHCP Relay" with defined IP address of DHCP server.

2. use DHCP server within same subnet (VLAN 2). In this case you have to set "DHCP mode" to "none" in this case.

the only last thing is confused me a bit. The default gateway IP differs between both your outputs (ipconfig and screenshot). It is because of testing and you changed several configuration and you've simply mixed outputs? Or is the received default gateway address different from the one configured in RV180W for that interface?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

hello Andrius

from your description is seems that you don't want to use RV180W (with IP 192.168.2.2) as Gateway for VLAN2, but instead there is another gateway on that VLAN available with IP 192.168.2.1 which you want to use. is that correct?

if so, you have to use external DHCP server (not RV180W) as you can't define another default gateway there. In RV180W the gateway address is selected as IP address of RV180W interface which is assigned to that VLAN.

In this case you have two option:

1. use different DHCP server (not RV180W) from another subnet, and simply change DHCP mode for VLAN 2 from "DHCP Server" to "DHCP Relay" with defined IP address of DHCP server.

2. use DHCP server within same subnet (VLAN 2). In this case you have to set "DHCP mode" to "none" in this case.

the only last thing is confused me a bit. The default gateway IP differs between both your outputs (ipconfig and screenshot). It is because of testing and you changed several configuration and you've simply mixed outputs? Or is the received default gateway address different from the one configured in RV180W for that interface?

Thank you, I will use option 1.

Since I have another router WRVS4400N, I want to configure it in the same way as RV180W. Just can`t find where to set DHCP server for VLAN2?

P.S. For the confusing thing... I rebooted router, disable/enable switch port, wireless interface. Then default gateway in ipconfig become same as in screenshot.

Hi Andrius,

Just one note: when the DHCP server is not RV180, but as in your case WRVS4400N, the configuration for DHCP in RV180 has to be DHCP disabled, not "DHCP server" or "DHCP Relay". DHCP relay is used when the DHCP clients and the DHCP server are in different VLANs and the router has to insure that the DHCP broadcast will pass from one VLAN to the other

Once you configure WRVS4400N to be the DHCP server for VLAN2, the DHCP clients will have as gateway the IP of WRVS4400N and not RV180

On WRVS4400N you first create the VLANs from the menu "L2 switch" and than assign an IP from the menu LAN

Regards,

Kremena

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: