cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W PPPoE Not Connecting

xdavid1960
Level 1
Level 1

I am located in UK which uses PPoA for ADSL broadband. I use a DrayTek Vigor120 ADSL2 Modem to act as an ADSL bridge and PPoA to PPPoE converter. This passes the ADSL authentication requirement  (and subsequent single static IP address) to the Cisco Small Business RV180W sitting behind the Draytek.

However, the RV180 (Firmware Version 1.0.0.30) cannot form the PPPoE connection.

I have tested the modem, adsl username and password by creating a PPPoE interface on my computer and connecting this directly to the Draytek modem. The computer receives the expected IP address and I can ping remote public IPs.

I have entered the username and password into the PPPoE profile,

Authentication type: CHAP (confirmed by ISP but I have also tried all other options just in case).

Connection Type: Keep Connected.

MTU Size: 1400 (also tried default, which worked OK on computer interface).

MAC Address Source: Use Default (I have successfully used combined modem/router so a "fixed" MAC address is not required).

The status screen just shows WAN Information as "Not Yet Connected".

The ISP sees no authentication attempts at their end.

Is their any way I can get a text list of all the RV's settings? I am wondering if the PPPoE Profile Name or other information is being passed through to the Draytek along with the username and password - Draytek require that NO other communication gets passed through to it during the authentication stage. It's the only thing I can think of.

There's not much default feedback to debug otherwise (or is there something I have missed for debugging?).

Thanks for any ideas!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi David, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I will be more than glad to assist with your configuration, I noticed that you don´t have the latest firmware, the latest version is the 1.0.1.9 you can download here , so I recommend you, update you firmware following these steps bellow. Also I advise to create a Backup from your configuration. http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=1958

When the router finished the process of updated, please perform a factory reset, then load your backup and check if now is working.

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi David, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I will be more than glad to assist with your configuration, I noticed that you don´t have the latest firmware, the latest version is the 1.0.1.9 you can download here , so I recommend you, update you firmware following these steps bellow. Also I advise to create a Backup from your configuration. http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=1958

When the router finished the process of updated, please perform a factory reset, then load your backup and check if now is working.

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Sorry for late reply but I had limited access to the site for testing.

When I first updated the firmware and tested connection, I could not get it to connect. After reading Christian's comment (thanks), I went back to the site for another test. However, it connected immediately and I didn't need to click the 'Connect' button which Christian mentioned. I don't know why it didn't connected on my first visit - but looks good now.

For your info, the configuration backup I made prior to the firmware update would not restore. I had to reset to defaults again and just reconfigure manually. Probably best in long run.

chdh
Level 1
Level 1

David, I also had problems connecting with PPPoE until I noticed the "Connect" button hidden under Status / System Summary / WAN (with firmware 1.0.1.9). This button is not documented in the manual. Did you try clicking that button?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: