cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W slow WAN

Aaron Christner
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RV180W router, with Firmware 1.0.3.10.  My speed directly connected to the modem are 20 down and 5 up.  When I connect through the router it is 6 down and 3 up.  QoS is disabled.  I just switched from AT&T Uverse to cable internet.  Had at least 10 down with the AT&T through the router.  Not sure what would have changed.  Unless I am testing at a peak time.  Any suggestions?

1 Reply 1

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Aaron,

Check the MTU on the WAN port. It should be 1500 for cable, you may have lowered it for the Uverse connection.

Your modem and router may not be negotiating the port speed correctly. The RV180 has a Gigabit WAN port, your modem may be 10/100. Networking-> Port Management, disable Auto Negotiation on WAN (Internet) and change the speed to 100 to see if that makes a difference.

If feasible, back up your configuration file and then set the router to factory defaults. At factory default settings everything should work perfectly with your cable connection. If it is, consider reconfiguring the router manually. If that is not possible you will have to continue troubleshooting your current configuration.

Please keep us updated.

- Marty