Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W and iPhone VPN IPSec

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I currently have RV042 and I can VPN (pptp though) to it with no prob. I'm considering upgrading to one of these new routers that Cisco has recently brough out.

Before I bit the bullet, I wonder whether this new model is iphone fully ipsec compatible because as of now I just can't use ipsec but pptp.

Thanks

28 Replies 28

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

No one?

I have bought the RV220W and so far everything works on a laptop through quickvpn via ipsec and ssl vpn via web browser.

The only thing that still does not work is vpn support for iphone.

Cisco tech is working with there Subject matter expert but its been a while now with no resolution of yet.

I think they should have included a QuickVPN app for iphone "and getitdone".

This seems to be a sore spot from pass Small Business Routers.

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Too bad this new router can't support apple's implementation of IPSec though i don't actually know who is to blame here (Apple or Cisco)

Care to keep us posted with the different updates between you and the engineer? Do you expect them to release a bugfix for this?

Could I ask you to do some throughput test? I'm pretty disappointed with rv042's VPN throughput and I'm in the market for alternatives. Would you be so kind to try and see what you get out of your device so I can make a thought out decision here?

Please PM me if you can set aside some time for it. The main idea is to determine what the available throughput is in two scenarios

IPSec VPN

Pptp VPN

Thanks a lot. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Marc

I didn't do a performance testing but here is what is posted on the model comparison cisco website.

NAT throughput : 800 Mbps,
VPN throughput (IPSec) : 90 Mbps,
VPN throughput (SSL) : 25 Mbps

For the issue of pptp; it seem even with the latest firmware on the rv220w, there is a problem still conecting from the iPhone.

A level 2 engineer assigned will have more time to work on a hopeful solution on Monday.

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

Please,

Keep us posted.

Thanks

Please keep us posted. i really hope they figure this out quickly.

i just bought 2 of these units and was able to get tunnels created between them, PC Client VPN, now was facing the challenge of getting the ipad/iphone vpn work. i finally came across this threat so i know its not me.

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Any update with regard to this? Still unable to connect over VPN?

News are appreciated. I'm putting off the purchase of this device hoping your problem would be solved soon...

Thanks

Basically, I don't recomend for iphone user hoping for to have a secure vpn using Cisco RV220W VPN router.

• Level 2 support was the same tech everytime I re-submit a for a new issue, and it looked to me the level 2 tech passing the work to Apple is not a solution. Cisco needs a "Quickvpn app for iphone for Small Business "Customers".
  • Level 2 support for this particular issue was not impressive due to conversation lasting less than a minute each before hangup, solution was email saying conversation was resolve and closing the case with email link to apple support forum site showing in conlusion lots of reading with no solution.

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

Pow, that's a pity. I'm also disappointed with how my own case has been treated for I'm experiencing weird results with my RV042... I wonder if customer support actually put themselves in our shoes.

I wonder though how come I can VPN into my network from my iPhone through my RV and this new model won't. PPTP works just fine on my network, IPSec won't due to a poor implementation on the RV. I wonder why Cisco enterprise line of products enable Cisco IPSec support with no problem while this other SMB line won't even though they belong to the same vendor. This is soo annoying.

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Truongson,

Any breakthrough with iPhone VPN so far? May I ask if the device features PPTP?

Thanks

I know the IPAD supports PPTP. I'm also working to get IPsec working on it. but so far no luck I've also tryed getting it working on the blackberry playbook and I'm having issues there also and it does not support PPTP with any luck we cen get some support out of Cisco and get these devices working.... I have a feeling they will start getting more and more calls about this as I kknow I'm not the only one thats moving from having a laptop to a pad or phone where I can remote into a virtual pc to do my job when I'm on the road.

To clear some items, the IPSec implementation on the iPhone is designed to work with enterprise VPN solutions and not the Small Business routers. There is on one to blame just a design decission. As for PPTP, maybe some one else with configuration experience could answer.

On a side note, one of the biggest errors I have seen is when enabling the PPTP server on the router the user also forwards GRE and 1723 to a MS server. If you do this, you will break both the server and router connection. Make sure this is not the case, and if so decide whether to use the router as the PPTP server or the MS server.

What are the differences between an enterprise VPN solution and the implementation on the RV220W. My thinking was that IPsec had to follow a set of standards but I guess not.

Maybe if be in Cisco’s best interest to provide a QuickVpn app like the AnyConnect App?

kitus_san
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I currently own a rv042 and have no problems to VPN into my network. I've configured the router as a PPTP server and my iPhone connects just fine currently, but I'm looking for an alternative cause the VPN throughput in that scenario is extremely poor. Although there is no reference to max PPTP VPN throughput on the datasheet of the rv042, I had expected it to be similar to IPsec throughput which is detailed on that datasheet.

I even created a case and haven't received, to my opinion l, proper support from Cisco. Well, whatever... Don't want to continue as this would be off topic...

I started this thread because I wanted to know if this new device implemented enterprise IPSec VPN or SOHO IPSec VPN (and yes that also surprises me because I thought VPN was standard...). It makes me angry to find out that there seems to be two flavours of IPSec. This defeats the whole idea of a standard, doesn't it?

Please, can anybody with the rv220w confirm whether or not it features pptp VPN server support, and if iOS devices can stablish a PPTP VPN with it?

I'm just analysing this new device before I purchase it and find out again that I does not fulfil my expectations.

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App