cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W beta 1.0.2.1 Several logging bugs

Joergen Thomsen
Level 1
Level 1

1) the log entries are out of order and incomplete in the router compared to the syslog file on an external server

Fri Jul 22 07:32:53 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] printk: 2 messages suppressed.

Fri Jul 22 07:32:53 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] printk: 1 messages suppressed.

Fri Jul 22 07:33:13 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] printk: 1 messages suppressed.

Fri Jul 22 14:07:08 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] TCP: too many of orphaned sockets

Fri Jul 22 14:07:38 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] TCP: too many of orphaned sockets

Fri Jul 22 14:07:43 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] TCP: too many of orphaned sockets

Fri Jul 22 14:31:05 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] Out of socket memory

Fri Jul 22 07:35:09 2011(GMT+0100) [618111043][Kernel][KERNEL] printk: 4 messages suppressed.

2) an external syslog server is only receiving the Kernel messages, not the Local0 or System which can be sent by email.

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

To get beta code, you have obviously been working with the Small Business Support Center (SBSC).

The excellent folk there,  escalated the case number (Service Request number ) to a  team that give you beta code.

A wee while ago, I investigated a problem with PPTP termination,  the escalation team gave me the following beta firmware as seen in the screen shot below.

I would humbly suggest that you please spend a little bit of time and  re-open your case with the Small Business Support Center and feedback the problem you are experiencing with the betacode you have. 

Remember it's Betacode,  tested but not quite ready for 'prime time.'

Since you did accept Beta code, please  work with us at SBSC to resolve your issue.

Let SBSC and our escalation team  analyse the problem and re-issue beta code that resolves the issue. 

I do appologize for the problem you are experiencing, but note there are alot of RV220W now out there with very very very few issues.

regards Dave

Quote: Since you did accept Beta code, please  work with us at SBSC to resolve your issue.

I would love to, but the problem is, that throwing beta firmware at the customer without any easy feedback channel for the issues experienced with this software is just plain stupid of CISCO.

I already opened two new cases (see the tags of my latest posted issues) but it took many minutes for a CISCO supporter to do so.

I already suggested to CISCO using an open bug reporting system used so many other places. Large benefits for both customers and CISCO both in time and efficiency.

Just imagine how that would make support procedures at CISCO much more efficient. The current case system is from a time, when each router had the price of a car and the customer was ignorant. It does have the benefit of CISCO support having more time for the customer, but coffee, cake and sweet talk is unfortunately not enough for the current proficient and impatient IT customer.

Quote: "alot of RV220W now out there with very very very few issues."

Please, have a look at e.g. this forum and the internet and you will regret saying this.

Current software is beta quality e.g. the PPOE connectivity issue and the missing NAT loopback/hairpinning preventing our users to use their smartphones for internal services.

These problems are not present at most other less expensive routers in the market including the one which the RV220W replaces and the 8 year old router which the latter replaced.

Hi Joergen.

I beg to differ with some of your comments, but respect your opinion.

The product manager for all SB routers and a senior SBSC engineer has already voiced their concern that you have a open issue that is not being addressed. 

Please email me your case numbers to;

dhornste  at  cisco.com  ( remove the spaces and replace the 'at' with a @  don't want to be spammed )

regards

Dave Hornstein

SB Channel Systems Engineer

7100-8 Kit Creek Road PO Box 14987

RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK

NORTH CAROLINA

USA

Quote: Please email me your case numbers

I did so one week ago and my email ended up in the infamous CISCO black hole.

I have a list of 6 new issues with the 1.0.2.1 beta firmware, but apparently nobody cares.

NO feedback on the recent two cases. Sweet talk, sweet talk.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: