cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - cannot get the router to use full bandwidth (was "RV220W slower after bandwidth upgrade")

paulo.delgado
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a RV220W with firmware 1.0.4.17 connected to a Cisco EPC3000 modem from my cable provider.

Previously I had a 60 Mbps connection to the Internet and I could achieve 57 to 59 Mbps throughput on my PC connected to the RV220W via a fast-ethernet cable (100 Mbps). To achieve that troughput I had to change the MTU size to 1492 and set the WAN port to 1000 Mbps Full, no Auto Negotiation.

I've upgraded the Internet connection to 100 Mbps and, to my surprise, the throughput got worst, around 45 Mbps:

PC 2 Cisco.jpg

If I connect the PC directly to the modem I get a throughput of around 95 Mbps:

PC 2 modem.jpg

After noticing this problem I have:

1- Downloaded a "fresh" 1.0.4.17 firmware image from http://software.cisco.com;

2- Install the new image forcing a soft reset to factory settings;

3- Disconnect all the network cables, leaving only the power cable, and press the reset button on the back for more than 10 seconds, forcing a hard reset to factory settings;

4- Configured manually the RV220W, with a simpler configuration, without firewall rules.

But the speed problem is still there.

Any sugestions?

Regards,

Paulo

15 Replies 15

paulo.delgado
Level 1
Level 1

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that the connection between the RV220W and the cable modem (and between the PC and the cable modem when I tested from the PC without the RV220W) is made with two 500 Mbps powerline adapters. I believe those shouldn't be a problem because what has changed is the bandwidth from the cable modem to the service provider.

Regards,

Paulo

Strange as it may seem, try bypassing the powerline adapters.  I know these can get a bit finicky.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

This weekend I took the time to stretch a UTP CAT5e cable between the RV220W and the cable modem, eliminating the powerline adapters.

I whish that had solved the problem, but no. The speed test with the RV220W between the PC and the modem is 44,17 Mbps:

The throughput of the PC connected with the same CAT5e cable (without the powerline adapters) to the cable modem is 95,04 Mbps:

It looks like the RV220W is reducing the available bandwith to half.

Any other idea?

Regards,

Paulo

Hmmm...have you tried different Ethernet cables?  A long shot, but I've seen that be a factor before.

Hi,

Changing the cables also didn't help. I've opened a support ticket with Cisco and we did a first round of tests. They asked me to use a different speed test from my provider so I used speedtest.net.

Also they asked me if I could try with a different router. I still own the TP-Link from my cable provider that I replaced with the RV220W, so I repeated the speed tests. There is definetly something wrong with the RV220W:

Share Image

With the TP-Link I get:

Share Image

I suspect of an hardware problem.

Regards,

Paulo Delgado

Did you ever get a solution to this?

Not yet.

I've been working with Cisco Technical Support performing a series of tests, but I am progressing a bit slowly now, as I am on holidays and the family needs more attention.

Anyway, it looks like the problem is related to devices connected at 100 Mbps. Initially I noticed the throughput reduction  on my main PC, a 100 Mbps wired desktop connected to one of the LAN ports of the RV220W. I also have some laptops around the house with Gigabit NICs, but they are normally connected via WiFi.

This week I've connected one of the laptops with a Gbps NIC to a LAN port of the RV220W and did some speed tests changing the LAN port speed and the WAN port speed. My conclusions were the following:

1- With the LAN port forced to 1 Gbps full-duplex and the WAN port also forced to 1 Gbps full-duplex, I can make full use of the available bandwidth reaching almost 95 Mbps download speed (see test #1 on the table bellow)..

2- With the same laptop but with the LAN port forced to 100 Mbps full-duplex (just like on my main PC) and the WAN port still forced to 1 Gbps full-duplex, the throughput goes down to 31 Mbps (see test #2).

3- For a 100 Mbps NIC the best result is achieved with the LAN port in half-duplex and the WAN port also forced to 100 Mbps half-duplex, which gives a 62 Mbps throughput (see test #4).

Test #LAN portWAN portDownload Speed
11 Gbps full1 Gbps full94.13
2100 Mbps full1 Gbps full31.24
3100 Mbps full100 Mbps half21.43
4100 Mbps half100 Mbps half62.36
5100 Mbps half1 Gbps half33.02
6100 Mbps half1 Gbps full33.19
71 Gbps full100 Mbps half45.22

So, if I understand correctly this data, the 100 Mbps bandwidth from my Service Provider can be fully used by the RV220W as long as I make LAN=WAN=1 Gbps. But there is a performance problem whenever I make LAN=100 Mbps.

Can someone on the forum please test this and confirm my findings?

Regards,

Paulo

Just a short update on this issue:

I've got ticket "626722785 PT" still open with Cisco. After a long series of tests this ticket was escalated to level 2 support. They say that (and I quote) "the reason you are getting 98.2 mbps with the TP-link device in place is because it is better suited to the modem and is doing a better job regulating the connection speed". Well, the modem is a Cisco EPC3000.

So, now second level support is testing in their lab to try to reproduce the problem, before escalating to the Engineering & Development teams (meaning TeamF1?).

Regards,

Paulo

kriezwoek
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if there is any news on this topic? I'm experiencing the same problem since I recently upgraded my internet connection. First it was 60/6 mbps now it's 120/6 mbps, replaced all the old CAT5 cables with CAT5e.

Old situation (60/6mbps)

WAN: 100mbps full

LAN: 100mbps full

Download: ~56mbps

New situation (120/6mbps)

WAN: 1000mbps full

LAN: 1000mbps full

Download: ~118mbps

Some devices only have a 100mbps LAN port

WAN: 1000mbps full

Download: ~28mbps

When I force WAN to 100mbps

WAN: 100mbps full

Download: ~97mbps

Hi Kriez,

going from 100 Mbps to 28 Mbps on a LAN port is a lot worst than my own experience. I am sure you have done it, but you should check again for a possible duplex mismatch.

Regarding the ticket I've opened with Cisco, they were able to reproduce the problem, although in their case they say that the bandwith reduction is intermittent, going from 100 Mbps to 70 Mbps and back to 100 Mbps again.

I was offered two options:

1- Escalate to the engineering team, hope they acknowledge it is a software problem and wait (Weeks? Months?) for a new firmware with an eventual solution.

2- A refund.

Guess what I've chosen?

Regards,

Paulo

Wow.  I've seen this type of thing happen when the duplexs don't match.  I had a similar issue when I was getting 3mb down and 12 up on a 75/35 connection on an old netgear router that's limited to 12/12.  Once I manually set the duplex and connection speed, all was well.

I'm surprised they didn't dig into this more.  Either there's a hardware issue, a bug, or all the lan speeds weren't set manually.

But I've been there when you just need something that works.  What did you get to replace it?

I didn't get anything yet, I went back to the TP-Link my cable provider offered when I contracted the service.

I am wating for the new Draytek 2925n+ (simultaneous WiFi dual band) and I convinced the local distributor to do a try & buy (one bad experience is enough).

Regards,

Paulo

Honestly, I'd be skeptical of the modem or modem provisioning. You don't just lose service level upgrading to a higher speed. If you run a perf test on that router you're going to see 600+.

That EPC3000 modem has 4 streams and it sounds like you're getting the use of only one based off your numbers.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

I don't believe that is the case. I have 100 Mbps bandwidth available from my ISP. If I connect a PC with a gigabit NIC to the RV220W, I get almost 100 Mbps throughput (ninety something). So I assume the modem is working correctly.

If I then:

1- force the NIC in the PC to 100 Mbps full-duplex;

2 - configure the LAN port on the RV200W to 100 Mbps full-duplex;

3 - reboot the PC and the RV220W, just to be shure the new configurations are enforced;

I can't get more than 70 Mbps (sixty something) of the available 100 Mbps.

If I then replace the RV220W with a cheap TP-Link router, I again get almost 100 Mbps throughput. I can't see how this can be related to the modem.

Also, the first and second line of support at Cisco told me they were able to reproduce this behavior on their labs, without the EPC3000.

The problem seems to be on the handling of 100 Mbps connections on the LAN ports of the RV220W.

Regards,

Paulo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: