cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W Connection Drops Intermittently

cmsulli11
Level 1
Level 1

I installed the RV220W Router in my office about 2 weeks ago and everything works perfectly for 3-4 days but then my connection drops out and the router must be restarted to restore connectivity.  When I say the connection drops basically the internet connection drops out and my network connections drop shortly thereafter.  Usually the wireless connections lose connectivity followed within a few minutes by the wired connections.

Is there something in my firewall settings that could cause this issue?  I have checked with my ISP to verify there are no problems on their end.

26 Replies 26

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Craig,

Could be..a firewall issue. 

In earlier firmware i think the default behaviour of how it managed udp flooding was very tight.  I was a response from a Small Business Support Center technician, in a similar post that suggested;

"Have you tried disabling "Block UDP Flood" under the Firewall Settings and under ICSA Settings disabling "Block Fragmeted Packets?"

regards Dave

I actually turned off the "Block UDP Flood" and "Block Fragmented Packets" firewall settings yesterday afternoon.  I'll report back on the result.  Since the network is usually stable for 3-4 days before I have an issue it might take a week or so until I am convinced the issue is resolved.

My connection just dropped again today.  So apparently the firewall settings are not the culprit.  I am planning to replace this router with a suitable replacement.  It shouldn't be this much trouble to get my router stable.

Craig,

Do you have the block denial of service attacks?

If so, thats probably what is happening.  If you log into the router when the wan shuts down and see if there are logs showing an attack.

These routers are designed with that function and if it detects an attack it will shut down the wan port to protect the network.

You can turn off this function and risk someone getting into the network.

I share a similar problem: Occasionally (5%), webpages are not reachable.

In addition to "Block UDP flood" and "Block Fragmented Packets" I disabled also "Block TCP flood". Since then I never had troubles to reach webpages.

After disabling every firewall setting on the router I finally abandoned ship and went for a new router model.  Unfortunately when you are a small business owner you don't necessarily have endless hours to play around with router settings to create a stable company network.  I love the performance of the RV220W but I won't recommend it to anyone if it doesn't work out of the box as advertised.  Network down time = lost money.

Hi Dave,

I have a 1.0.3.5 firmware and I keep losing my wireless, I didn't have this issue with the shipping firmware, should I downgrade or is there a known configuration that works best for the wireless?

Alan.

Gidday Alan

I  just noticed this old posting, when you have a minute give me a call. 

Just ring 1800 go cisco and ask for me..

regards Dave

Hi Dave!

Since then I got the RV180W from the team and evrything's well again. When I put the 220 back online I'll give you a call.....Thanks!

Regards,

Alan.

Wait till the next official firmware first though

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

Got it, thank you Simon!!

Alan.

ruth_kohler
Level 1
Level 1

I have the RV220W and it is dropping folks intermittently.  Woud a firmware upgrade do the trick?  Is there a limit to the number of people you can have on it?

sneffgabor1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have same issue...

any solution?

disabel firewall, incrase session limit not help

Same problem here if anyone can offer a solution?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: