cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W Connection Drops Intermittently

cmsulli11
Level 1
Level 1

I installed the RV220W Router in my office about 2 weeks ago and everything works perfectly for 3-4 days but then my connection drops out and the router must be restarted to restore connectivity.  When I say the connection drops basically the internet connection drops out and my network connections drop shortly thereafter.  Usually the wireless connections lose connectivity followed within a few minutes by the wired connections.

Is there something in my firewall settings that could cause this issue?  I have checked with my ISP to verify there are no problems on their end.

26 Replies 26

Alex,

Are you on the latest firmware? There were some stability issues corrected in 1.0.5.8.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283118607&softwareid=282487380&release=1.0.5.8&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

- Marty

Hi Marty,

We are already on the latest firmware.

Alex

Alex,

What type of internet access do you have?

What is the upload/download speed?

How many LAN users?

How many wireless?

VPN?

Have you reset the router to factory defaults, reconfigured and tested it?

I have an RV220W and it is very stable on the latest firmware. It is lightly used though and that could make a difference.

- Marty

4x Bonded ADSL connections, which currently gives me speeds of 8mb down and 2mb up. We have roughly 40 users accross 2 of these deivces (one acts purely as a access point) all connecting wirelessly. We dont use VPN and as well as a factory reset I've also swapped the device out as I thought it could be a hardware issue.

Alex.

Alex,

Have you raised the 'Max. Associated Clients' higher than 20 on each SSID?

- Marty

Hi Marty,

Yes its set to 97, the highest I believe?

Alex,

Are you using different wireless channels on the two routers?

Are there many neighboring wireless networks?

Did you change any of the Advanced Settings? (Sometimes changing the Beacon Interval from 100 to 200 can be helpful)

- Marty

Using channel 11 on one of them and channel 1 on the other. There are possibly other networks in range from other organisations. Beacon interval set to 100, I can change this but can you explain what this does?

Alex,

Channel separation is good. You should check if the neighboring networks are interfering on those channels.

Beacon Interval is how frequently the router advertises the network in milliseconds. It sends a beacon frame which has all of the information about the network. In some cases this frame is sent too frequently and the wireless client loses the connection or is unable to connect. Note that some users have also reported that lowering the beacon interval to 50 has helped, so this is more of an experiment than anything. I like to say that wireless is more of an art than a science, sometimes you just have to experiment until you find something that works in your particular environment. My RV220W has served flawless wireless access in my home for over 2 years using basically the default settings.

- Marty

Ok, thanks Marty. I shall try playing with the beacon setting.

Regards

Alex

Does rebooting it solve the problem?  If so, a regular reboot may be a quicker solution than anything else.  I reboot all my rv series each day and they're flawless now.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

yasantha11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have the same issue with Cisco RV320, I rang Cisco for support, and they told me to put the router back into factory default Strictly without Updating the firmware and try to connect. When I do that you cannot even connect as the router would not pick up WAN links.

So Cisco decided that the router image is faulty and RA the router. Now I got new router, SOS (Same Old Shit).

Once update the firmware the router connection drops on both WAN Links intermittently, that's when cisco said do not update the firmware, but without updating the firmware you can get no where.

Troubleshooting done so far.. checked the connection with ISP by attaching a PC and Ping from Outside.  No Drops

When attach the router, there is a Lag and drops

Factory reset the router

Manually entered all configs back

Any Ideas 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: