cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W no longer supported.

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

The title isn't a question, it is an observation.

The current fiirmware for the RV220W is nearly 16 months old and has several issues. The only solutions offered by Cisco are to disable some of the router's functionality or to downgrade the firmware. Neither of which is suitable for the long term.

Would it be possible for somebody from Cisco to give a clear and unambiguous statement as to whether or not this router is still supported and, if so, when we can expect a firmware update.

If you are no longer going to provide firmware updates then let me know so I can bin it and move on.

5 Replies 5

pjschwartz
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to know too . . . performance has been rock solid, but there are still a number of "quirks" that need to be ironed out (e.g., needing to enable IPV6 to get UPnP to work correctly).  It would be nice to get this device to 100%.

Would like to add that at some point I will look to replace this router . . . based on the lack of support on the RV220W, I'd be hard pressed to make another investment in a model from CISCO.

Hi, this router is certainly supported. If there is not an EOS/EOL notification then it usually means support is current. As far as firmware development, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new release in 3 months or less unless something unfortunate is discovered

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

I've looked at the firmware for other RVnnn routers and they all seem to have been updated in June/July/August of this year. Just about the only one that hasn't had any sort of upgrade is the RV220W and that firmware is now 16 months old. You could argue that since Cisco recommends downgrading to the previous firmware, as a solution to some of the issues, that many are now having to run firmware that is over 2 years old.

As far as firmware development, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new release in 3 months or less unless something unfortunate is discovered 

Have you had training as a politician? Could you tell us, unambiguously, if there will be a firmware upgrade?

It gets more than a little tedious when your router is rebooting every few minutes just because somebody decided to download the latest SuSE release using a torrent client.

Well, if you want to sum it up as being a politician, sure.

I can affirm there is a firmware, I can affirm it is being tested. It would be irresponsible to say a date since it has not been determined yet.

But worse case scenario, if you're eager for new firmware asap, you could always call the SBSC and request beta firmware. I won't offer a time frame for something I do not know. But I do know the time is coming and it is relatively soon (relative to 16 months, it's a lot closer).

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/