Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - Port Forwarding - Different Ports

MarcusYAvenir
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I have a RV220W with 1.0.3.5 Firmware installed.

I also have a few servers with services I need to expose to outside the network (RDP and some websites) where the external port is not the same as the LAN port. I could accomplish this with my previous router using port forwarding and it looks like I can do the same here on the RV220W but I can't quite get it to work successfully. I would be grateful for any help / directions.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Marcus,

First you will want to create a customer service on the RV220W. This customer service will be the incoming port. (the port the router will be listening for)

You will then go to the firewall and add a new access rule. You will select your service and specify the host to forward that port to. You will want to then select the 'Port Forward' check box and put the translated port in the 'Translate Port' box. (this will be the port you want to send traffic to on the local host)

This allows you to do things like forward port 4000 outside to 3389 inside.

I couldn't figure out how to use your suggestions Robert. My UI must be different (firmware version?) because I don't have this 'Port Forward' or 'Translate Port' fields. However I did manage to figure out how to get it working. Will post directions.

So here is how Port Forwarding is set up on the RV220W with firmware 1.0.3.5

In my example I needed to setup my :6001 to forward to an internal address for remote desktop, 192.168.1.12:3389.

First, as detailed above by Robert, set up the custom service you want the public address to be listening for. In 1.0.3.5 I found this under Firewall > Advanced Settings > Custom Settings. Add a new service speficying the name, protocol, and ports. For my RDP connection It was "RDP", TCP, and the Start Port and End Port set as "6001", the port that was listening publicly.

Next go to Firewall > Port Forwarding and add a port forwarding record. And set the following values.

Action: Always Allow

Service:

Destination IP:

Forward From Port: Same as incoming port

Forward To Port: 3389

Hit save and that should be it. The problem I was running into is I was setting the "Forward From Port" as the port I wanted to have translated, so 6001. This is already specified with the custom service I created, so when setting it twice it wasnt working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: