Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - Setting Up Trunk Ports

wilmar.perez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We just recently bought a RV220W. We have been trying to find out how to setup one of the ports as a trunk port to be able to pass several VLANs to a XenServer. The documentation states it is possible:

Screen Shot 03-02-14 at 08.44 PM.PNG

However the option is no actually there:

Screen Shot 03-02-14 at 08.40 PM 001.PNG

I have been looking all around without much success. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a hint on how to make a port behave as a trunk on this device.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wilmar,

Screen Shot 03-03-14 at 06.20 AM.PNG

If I want to pass VLANs 1, 20 and 30 only on Port 4, it would have to be like in the config above, right?

- As a side note and forgive my ignorance but why do I have to leave at least one VLAN untagged?

The port is configured properly to pass the VLANs. One VLAN must be untagged, typically the defautl VLAN on the network, because it is a Trunk port. If you had the option for General port you could leave all VLANs untagged. The switch that connects to the port should be configured exactly the same.

There is only one manual for the RV220W:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv220w/administration/guide/rv220w_ag_78-19743.pdf

It looks like the manual that you referenced is for a switch.

- Marty

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Wilmar,

Create a Trunk Port under VLAN Membership. You can choose which VLANs are tagged, untagged and excluded.

- Marty

Hello Marty

I saw that but didn't get it clearly. So, let's say in my config:

If I want to pass VLANs 1, 20 and 30 only on Port 4, it would have to be like in the config above, right?

- As a side note and forgive my ignorance but why do I have to leave at least one VLAN untagged?

I am not sure if you are a Cisco representative, if you are do you know if there's a version of the manual that actually reflects the interface, as you can see above the offitial one does not.

Thank you very much for replying

Best regards,

Wilmar

Wilmar,

The port is configured properly to pass the VLANs. One VLAN must be untagged, typically the defautl VLAN on the network, because it is a Trunk port. If you had the option for General port you could leave all VLANs untagged. The switch that connects to the port should be configured exactly the same.

There is only one manual for the RV220W:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv220w/administration/guide/rv220w_ag_78-19743.pdf

It looks like the manual that you referenced is for a switch.

- Marty

Hi Marty

Ok, I get it. thank you very much for replying. Thanks for the link, you are right it seems like we were looking at a different manual. I still cannot "see" anything on the Xen side other than the Untagged VLAN but I guess it is something missing on the Xen side.

I wonder why the logic of working with the RV220W seems so different than the familiar Cisco CLI for other devices.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick reply

Best regards,

Wilmar