Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - Trying to setup an IPv6 connection

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My ISP provides IPv6 connectivity in the form of dual stack IPv4/IPv6 with DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation. Using a Cisco IOS-based router I managed to make such a connection by using as a template the Cisco IOS configuration file that my ISP has posted as an example in the following link:

http://ipv6.otenet.gr/current-config.txt

The main point on this configuration is a PPPoE connection with:

interface Dialer46
 ipv6 address autoconfig default
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 dhcp client pd LAN_DHCP

interface Vlan1
 description local LAN
 ipv6 address LAN_DHCP ::/64 eui-64
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 nd other-config-flag
 ipv6 dhcp server LAN_DHCP

I am now trying to configure an RV220W router on the same network but I cannot make it establish an IPv6 connection. Perhaps I am not setting it up correctly to make it work similarly to the Cisco IOS-based router. My settings are the following:

Networking -> IPv6 ->

IP Mode - IPv4 and IPv6 Dual-Stack

IPv6 WAN - DHCPv6 + Stateless Address Auto Configuration

IPv6 LAN - IPv6 Address: fec0::1, IPv6 Prefix Length: 64, DHCP Status: Enable DHCPv6 Server, DHCP Mode: Stateless, DNS Servers: Use DNS from ISP.

Router Advertisement: Status: Enable, Advertise Mode: Unsolicited Multicast

When I check the Summary page I see that although a have a proper working IPv4 connection, the IPv6 information is the following:

WAN (Internet) Information (IPv6)

Connection Time:                0 Days 00:07:10

Connection Type:                Dynamic IP (DHCP)

Connection State:               Connected                                  

IP Address:                        fe80::5a8d:9ff:fee2:f9d3/64

Gateway:                           fe80::200:ff:fe00:0

DNS Servers:

which is of course wrong.

Could someone please help me to configure this router according the Cisco IOS configuration file I linked on the top in order to have a working IPv6 connection?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Panos,

Thank you for posting. You can find a contact number for Cisco Small Business Support at the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

You will need a Cisco User ID (your login name) and the serial number of your router to open a case.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

At least, does anyone know if this router supports a dual stack DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation connection? Can anyone please tell me how to open a support ticket to Cisco regarding this issue?

Hi Panos,

Thank you for posting. You can find a contact number for Cisco Small Business Support at the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

You will need a Cisco User ID (your login name) and the serial number of your router to open a case.

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

So, I did a WAN packet capture to see that type of DHCPv6 packets the router sends to the ISP in order to obtain an IPv6 address and I saw that the router is sending DHCPv6 solicitation packets of type IA_NA i.e. for Identity Association for Non-temporary Address. However, most ISPs that offer a dual stack IP4/IPv6 service, they use DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation in which case the router is expected to send DHCPv6 solicitation packets of type IA_PD i.e. for Identity Association for Prefix Delegation.

Therefore, this router does not support DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation services with firmware 1.0.3.5 and as a result in practice it is only good for tunnel IPv6 connections.

Are there any plans to provide support for Prefix Delegation?

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

This is a quick message to let anyone interested that the latest beta firmware 1.0.4.6 still does not support DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: