cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - UPnP does not work

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to make UPnP to work on the RV220W. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I am forced to use port forwarding.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have you tried increasing the upnp hop count ("time to live" field I believe is what it shows in the GUI)?  If not, increase it to 100 or higher.  That may eliminate the need to turn upnp on/off after each reboot.  We found this worked, but only if ipv6/dual-stack was turned on.

Keep us posted.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

doug_counsil
Level 1
Level 1

It is a known issue.  We found 3 ways to get it to work consistently:

1.  Do not create any VLANs (not a viable workaround)

2.  Turn on ipv6 (not a viable workaround for some)

3.  After rebooting the router, turn upnp off and back on again (works, but not a very good solution).

I hope this helps.  And, hopefully they fix this in the next firmware release.  We are no longer using our RV220W router so we have dropped the issue with Cisco technical support.

Thank you for the help. In my case I have a single VLAN and I have IPv6 enabled since I am struggling to make it work with my ISP so I should be ok to do the off-on trick. Still, the frmware of this router needs a lot of work to become release-quality which is surprising because it is Linux-based so one does not start from scratch! It should not have been released at its current state.

And on another note, you cannot call a router that does not support native IPv6 with DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation as "supporting IPv6" when all it supports is tunneling IPv6.

Our ISP does not support native ipv6 yet so we never tested that functionality.  I agree that it should have been tested and working long ago.

Also, beware that the RV220W has no ipv6 firewall capabilities.

Yes, I know about the firewall issue. Perhaps they will add one in the near future and before this product becomes obsolete.

It is really sad because this router has excellent hardware, an amazing throughput and performance that regular IOS-based software routers cannot possibly match and it deserves a good feature-complete and robust firmware in order to really shine.

I think that these days companies rush products to the market with very buggy embedded software which does not really satisfy the advertised specifications promising to fix all problems in "future" updates which never come. What really comes is new products with new buggy software and of course new promises. They mostly care to sell new stuff rather than ensure that what they sell actually works as advertised. It's all about making money.

That's why we decided to replace an RV220W with an SA540.  The SA500 series have been around for a few years now, and most of its bugs seem to have been ironed out.

Have you tried increasing the upnp hop count ("time to live" field I believe is what it shows in the GUI)?  If not, increase it to 100 or higher.  That may eliminate the need to turn upnp on/off after each reboot.  We found this worked, but only if ipv6/dual-stack was turned on.

Keep us posted.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

So, I increased the "time to live" field to the maximum value of 255 seconds and that did the job! Your suggestion worked. Perhaps the default value of 4 seconds is unrealistic in the first place.

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

This is a quick message to let anyone interested know that the beta release firmware 1.0.4.6 has resolved the UPnP issue and with this firmware it works correctly without the need for any tricks or special settings.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

That's good.  We have found UPnP on our SA540 is flaky almost as bad as the RV220W was.  Sometimes UPnP works after a reboot, sometimes it doesn't.  When it does work after a reboot, it randomly sometimes stops working.

I hope the fix they implemented is able to be ported over to the SA500 Series routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: