Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - VLAN help required

michael.dresser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having an issue with a new vlan on this router. The router is using the default firmware 1.0.0.26 as I cannot use 1.0.1.0 as we have a DSL connection which required PPPoE.

VLAN1 is for the our work PC's and our SBS which also acts as the DHCP server. The router is set with a static address and has the DHCP disabled.

VLAN5 is for a group of PC's which are only to have access to the Internet and nothing else on the network. I have done some screenshots of the settings.

vlan1.jpgvlan2.jpg

vlan3.jpgvlan4.jpg

When I connect a PC to port 4, a valid IP is not recieved from the DHCP set up for VLAN5, instead the PC recieves an IP address from SBS which is on VLAN1, it also shows that I am connected to the local domain on VLAN1. Am I missing something, is there anything else which needs settings. I can't figure out why I am not getting a 192.168.5.0 address.

My wireless secure VLAN10 works fine, and recieves the correct IP address.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael,

Well have been reviewing your posts and also set similar configuration in our lab. Note that i did have some trouble; no trouble with the RV220W but rather the switch was shutting down one of the connected ports to RV220W. So i went into SG-302 switch and disabled STP on that port and everything started working fine. So, this is most likely similar in your case as well. Also if the netgear is a fully managed switch why don't you just truck both vlan's on the same port. This will free up two ports in your network. you mentioned that you were getting an ip address from vlan 1 when you were connected to vlan 10, even with your configuration file i did not experience anything like this. On the wireless side you might want to reconnect to each SSID and test. When testing you want to make sure you do a (ipconfig /release) and (ipconfig /renew) your IP stack might be keeping settings from your pervious connected network.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

gulliver_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Inter-VLAN routing doesn't function properly.

Please take a look at this forum amd the release notes.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3358739#3358739

The rv220w is yet another crap from Cisco as you can see in this forum too.

Gulliver

Wow, that is dissapointing!! So could this be the reason as to why I am getting DHCP from VLAN1 on VLAN2 ? Seems an odd bug, I would expect basic functionality such as vlans to works on a router of this price.

I bought this router specifically for this functionality, I was expecting better from a Business class router from Cisco. Does anyone know if there are any timescales as to when this will be fixed?

Are there any work arounds? Have I missed anything else? Anyone?

Regards

Michael.

Michael,

Call into the SBSC at 866-606-1866 and get a troubleshooting case opened up. 

Based on what you have described if your using SBS for dhcp for vlan 1 and have it relaying for it, you should be able to use the router for other vlans created on the router.

If the device will not allow the router to give dhcp for those vlans and the only option is to relay to a server, then it should be grayed out.

The vlan 10 that you have created are you using that for wireless?  If so are they getting an ip address from the router?

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. You are correct, vlan10 is indeed for a secure wireless network, and this work fine, any devices connecting get an IP address in the correct range  192.168.10.100 - 192.168.10.254.

It would seem that the only the LAN vlans appear to be affected.

Thanks

Michael.

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

From your configuration, it appears that you do not need inter-VLAN routing to be enabled on any VLAN. If that is the case, you might want to consider disabling Inter-VLAN routing on VLAN1 as a workaround until the issue is fixed by new firmware.

tekliu wrote:

From your configuration, it appears that you do not need inter-VLAN routing to be enabled on any VLAN. If that is the case, you might want to consider disabling Inter-VLAN routing on VLAN1 as a workaround until the issue is fixed by new firmware.

That did cross my mind but, you can't change vlan1, the tick box to select it is greyed out so you can't turn off inter-VLAN routing.

Does anyone know if a timescale has been set for when a new firmware is to be released?

If you have not done so, please open a case with the support center, so we can help track down the status of the issue as well as the fix plan.

Do I open a new case just by ringing customer support? This is the first Cisco product I have bought for the company.

Yes, please call SBSC at 866-606-1866 and get a case opened up. The agent in SBSC may ask for your router's config file and debug log to expedite root-causing the issue and get the issue fixed.

I have been on the phone to them and opened a case 617826939. He is going to do a web connect (I think) later next week to check things out. I have also sent my config file at his request.

Thanks for the help so far.

I realised that the clock was out by an hour on the router, I enabled 'Daylight savings' and suddenly the vlan started to work. But now the wireless vlan is no longer working very strange. I will contact support and have the call notes updated.

Now that the vlan is working I connected it up to my Netgear switch which is what is now causing the issue. No DHCP is coming through the switch. Can anybosy see where I may have gone wrong?

SBS is used as the DHCP server for VLAN1 using 192.168.0.0/24
RV220W is used as DHCP server for VLAN5 using 192.168.5.0/24

Cisco RV220W Config:
Port Name - Mode - PVID - VLAN Membership
1                 Access   1                       1
2                 Access   1                       1
3                 Access   1                       1
4                 General   5                        5

Netgear GS724Tv3 Config:
Ports 13, 15 and 16 were removed from default vlan1

vlan 1 default:
All ports untagged excluding 13,15,16 which are not included.
Port 1 is connected to port 1 on the cisco

vlan 10 created:
Port 13 Tagged (connects to Cisco RV220W)
Port 15 Untagged

vlan 15 created:
Port 13 Tagged (connects to Cisco RV220W)
Port 16 Untagged

Port 13 had it PVID set to "5" to match that of the Cisco.

Michael,

Please call Cisco Small Business Support 1-866-606-1866, if you have a case reference your case number if not have the engineer create you a case. So i can take a look at your configuration and topology so we can get this resolved for you.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Thanks for that. My case number is above but I am going to struggle to find the time to call this week. I can supply my config file by email if required.