Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220w vlan Problem

Jason
Level 1
Level 1

FW Version: 1.0.2.4

I'm attempting to get tagged vlans working on this router.  I have 2 vlans, one for the main network and one for a guest network.  All 4 ports are untagged on vlan 1, and tagged to vlan 1000 (guest vlan).  Connected to the router is a Netgear GS724T, configured so that vlan 1 is untagged, and vlan 1000 is tagged for the connecting port.  Also connected to this switch is an Aironet 1252 set up so that vlan 1 is untagged, and vlan 1000 is tagged.

I wasn't able to get a DHCP address from the router on the guest vlan, so I started doing some digging.  When I plugged a computer into the Netgear and started a Wireshark caputure, none of the vlan 1000 traffic from the rv220w was showing up.  I then plugged the computer straight into the rv220w and the tagged vlan traffic wasn't showing up there either.  Packets tagged with vlan 1000 do show up in the captures coming from the Aironet 1252 and the Netgear when testing on the switch, but get dropped at the router and don't make it to the wireless clients, the DHCP server on the router, or other ports on the router.

Long story short, only untagged traffic seems to be coming out of the router on wired ports.  I have a wireless profile set to use vlan 1000, and wireless clients get a dhcp address and can connect to the Internet just fine.

Is there something I'm potentially overlooking in getting tagged vlans to work?

Sorry if anything comes across as confusing, its been a long day fighting with this router.

Jason

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jason.

I am guessing you have not tagged VLAN 1000 within the netgear switch,  on the egress port connected to the RV220W.

Here is a 5 minute recording of the complete configuration of my switching infrastructure.

After the RV220W rebooted I did find that a device  on the  untagged VLAN 1000  on my SG300-10P managed switch (p/n SRW2008P-K9-NA) did get a IP address allocated from the 2nd DHCP scope.

Hopefully the video makes sense, it's only 6 minutes long

https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?AT=pb&SP=MC&rID=56419682&rKey=5f7eb9844dd78e54

recorded Friday, November 18, 2011 2:54 am New York Time   6 Minutes

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

This is precisely what I did, although in the Netgear interface of course.  I have several other vlans working without issues, however none of the others interface with the RV220w.  The part that I'm at a loss for is that a wireshark capture on a computer didn't see any tagged traffic on any of the 4 ports.

Here are screenshots of my configuration.  Port 2 on the RV220w is connected to Port 1 on the Netgear switch.  Port 6 on the Netgear is the Aironet 1252, which is seeing the correct vlans.  Ports 21 & 22 are being used to troubleshoot this, and do not receive DHCP addresses when a computer is connected.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I tried another non-Cisco managed switch onto my RV220W and found a PC that would display  vlan tags in wireshark.

Gotta admit I had assumed that VLAN tags come up in a wireshark display..I sure assumed wrong.

Depends on many items as explained in the wireshark forum. .

I knew from tests yesterday that there is no issue with VLANing between my switches and RV220W router, but did not see vlan tags in my captures, and i wanted to see vlan tags in my wireshark captures....

Finally just  found a PC that could capture VLAN tags in a wireshark trace and was now happy to see the VLAN Tags,  that my Cisco switch and  my nonname switch passed VLAN tags with no issue.

See a screen capture below.

It was interesting to see information in your  last screen capture, i have no idea why there is a "T" under LAG 1. Does it make sense to maybe as a longshot,  reset the netgear switch to factory defaults.

Maybe if the reset didn't get things working, have  a chat with the folks at netgear, i am guessing that the netgear switch may be filtering VLAN tags. ( It's only a guess.)

But you are right, something is wrong, your VLAN1000 config , as you said looked like my config,  just not sure about the nuances of the netgear switch and some of the output seen on your screen capture.

regards Dave

I finally got it working correctly after reading the known issues list in the newly released 1.0.3.5 firmware release notes.  There was an incompatibility with the vlan configuration from earlier versions of the software.  I took this opportunity to upgrade to the new version, and after resetting the RV220w to factory defaults, and reconfiguring everything, its now working as expected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: