cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 as a Switch

preachs54
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to use the RV320 as a switch?  I need a switch for a network segment (same subnet) and have a unused RV320 that I could put to use.  What is the best way to do it?  I wondered if the WAN port is a dynamic IP, can I set it in router mode and just connect the other devices to the LAN ports and it would work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I just wanted to touch base with you and find out if you were able to try my suggestion and if it worked.

Please let us know.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Smith. 

I recommend contacting a local Cisco partner for a possible trade in program to get an actual switch. 

Let me know if you need more support or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I think it wouldn't be the best use of the router but yo should definitely be able to use it as a switch, just assigned an unused IP address on the same subnet on the LAN side of the router, make sure to disable DHCP and do not use the WAN ports just the LAN ones.

I hope this helps

This would do it.  No need to trade it in or anything like that.  And this works for any router of any brand too.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Moin Ilyas
Level 4
Level 4

RV320 has a Built-in 4-port Gigabit Ethernet switch. I believe it would work, it would be better to give it a try.

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I just wanted to touch base with you and find out if you were able to try my suggestion and if it worked.

Please let us know.

Well to answer all of you - YES, it does work.  BUT, it requires an IP on the LAN of the router to be able to use the switch.  Since the network segment I am trying to switch is Public, it wastes an IP to use it as a switch.  I suppose I will just pick up a switch locally and be done with it.

Thanks for your help.

This is incorrect.  The only reason you would need to assign the router an IP on the LAN is if you wan to access the router configuration screen.  Otherwise, you can set it to an IP that you can't remember and you'll never be able to use it as a router again without remembering the IP or factory defaulting it. 

I know because I have several routers on my network in this situation and I don't care since all I want to use it as is a switch.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: