Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 DHCP and WAN questions

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

So far I love the RV320 its super fast and works really good (with 2 WAN connections).          

I though have a few questions hoping someone could tell me:

1) Under DHCP Server it gives the option of to use DNS from ISP or DNS Proxy, what is the main difference between those two options?

Right now I have this set to DNS from ISP.

2) What are the pros and cons of enabling IPV6 DHCP and what is the best setting for that (Yes both ISPs I have suppor IPV6)?

3) What is the best option to set as client lease time for DHCP? (its set to 1440 default).

4) On the System Summary page I see both WAN1 and WAN2 connected (i set it to

Load Balance (Auto Mode) but for WAN2 i always see: Connected (Inactive)

Why does it say inactive?

Thank you!

11 Replies 11

tjareen
Level 1
Level 1

Ok thank you but That doesnt explain my questions its Just General Information.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Found answers to most things now except for:

4) On the System Summary page I see both WAN1 and WAN2 connected (i set it to

Load Balance (Auto Mode) but for WAN2 i always see: Connected (Inactive)

Why does it say inactive?

Hi Michiel,

Can you click the word connected? A new window should appear with some more information about what is happening with your WAN2 connection.

-Trevor Rietcheck

Hello Michael,

I think the WAN2 connection has gone idle. What kind of connection you have in wan2? PPPoE.? If yes, change the connection timers to Keep Alive.

Thanks

Vijay

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Same as WAN1 , there is a cable modem/router connected to WAN2 where i have it set as 192.168.1.2 (local connection from that modem/router to the RV320) with DMZ on that IP to WAN2.

When i click the word connected i see it is connected and up, but it doesnt say anywhere what inactive means.

Also, Connection timers to keep alive? Where should that option be cause i see it nowhere?

Hello Michael,

Don't worry about the keep alive option? It is with PPPoE only. Can you swap the wap1 and wap2 connections and check the status? Also, what is your load balance parameters?

Thanks,

Vijay

Load balance is set to AUTO mode and then i have the right bandwidth set for each connection:

Upstream/Downstream: 102400  (100mbit up and down for WAN1)

Upstream/Downstream: 10240/102400 (100mbit down and 10mbit up for WAN2)

for Wan2 i have filled in a static IP so no PPPOE or anything like that.

The only thing I see in the log is:

NSD FAIL WAN[2]

But i have no idea why it would say that, its set to NSD, Default gateway (which ofc is 192.168.1.1 on that WAN2 connection (thats the modem/router)).

Hi Michael,

NSD fails means Network service detection failing on wan2. Under the dual wan settings, can you please tell me what is the NSD setting?

Also, did you try swapping connection? In that way, we can determine whether it is a hardware issue?

I have now fixed it by Disabling the modem/router combination on the EPC3925 Cisco modem/router from cable connection on WAN2 to being a pure Modem. Now it gets a direct IP to the outside there and both stay connected

Thanks for the update Michael!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: