Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 new firmware?

oliver00111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My RV320, which works ok in general (1.1.1.06), but I also experience the one or other bug mentioned in this support forum.

I do not know if the device is still safe, because last December 2013 the latest software release for the device went out and since then nothing happened about new features and bug fixes. Nearly one year without any code changes. 

Is the device still safe? And when the next firmware will be released (ssh cli, sha-256, mtu fix, etc.)?

Greets, Oliver

13 Replies 13

David Pilcher
Level 1
Level 1

Given the number of bugs reported by people I'd hope an update was coming.  I see a beta firmware is available directly from support, but it's time a public firmware was updated.

Perhaps (I'm not hoping), we'll get another Christmas Eve firmware release this year too.

Just released... v1.1.1.19.

I already gave up though... known issues took FAR too long to resolve.  Moved on to a different vendor and MUCH happier..

may I ask who you went with. I am at a point of dumping cisco as well for being non responsive.

Sure.  Didn't want a repeat of my experience with the RV320... so did quite a bit of research.  Ended up going with TP-Link's TL-ER5120.  Although it's pegged as a "load-balancing" router, I don't have that feature enabled.  I bought it for the processor and extra memory.  Performance has been rock-solid.  Install was pretty quick... only exception was their procedure to reserve IPs via DHCP is split into two parts.  Took a bit to figure out.  First you bind the MACs, then you import the list into DHCP Reservation.  Let me know if you have ques... good luck!

I just looked at the specs for that router, though it does indeed look impressive it doesn't appear to perform as a VPN server, only a VPN client? Have I missed something?

Could be... I'm not using VPN server. Either way, I'd just dig through their lineup and pick the highest specc'd router that does. Very impressed with their hardware and support.  

The reason the release took a while is that we had to break up the release into two. First was the fixes.

Next is the new features and functionalities including SSH CLI among others.

Believe me, if I had a magic wand..

Marc

Do you have an ETA for the next feature firmware?

For me I'd like to be able to get a working IPSEC connection from my Windows Phone.  There's a mismatch in phone/router settings and neither end is configurable enough for me to get a working connection.  Would be good for someone at Cisco to buy a $29.99 phone from the Microsoft online store and get that working or put up a guide.

Thanks.

thanks for the feedback.  like matthew1471, i am also in need of a vpn server.  i have had tp-links in the past and have been happy with them however.

thanks again.

oliver00111
Level 1
Level 1

Still no answer, still no reaction, still no update...  Merry christmas, but now it's more than 1 year without any update. 

I've updated also to the newest firmware, which more a load of fixes for the most important issues. I am running this firmware load since 29th Dec and it looks like the overall stability is getting better. I have the idea that the GUI is running smoother. About the performance I can't say much, because my net is now physically segmented as I mentioned in another post.

Let's see how long it takes for a new firmware with some real new features mentioned by others in this forum.

Greets, Oliver

I agree the firmware is pretty stable now, just lacking in features.

If you could star my post and add whatever feature requests you would like to see then it helps keep things tied to a specific firmware version :-).

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12387576/rv320-v11119-bugs-feature-requests

oliver00111
Level 1
Level 1

I also gave up after RV320 and RV180 for several years. I won't wait longer for MTU fix and ssh cli. Switched to the ubnt EdgeRouter Lite. Not same webUI comfort as with RV320, but a cheap and powerful alternative with a strong community. Device is surely not for network beginners!