Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 poor routing performance

Brett Ferrell
Level 1
Level 1

Hey folks,

I have an RV320 router and fiber (CinBellTel Fioptics) to the house for near 1Gbps speeds, and am having issues getting the speed through my RV320. I know the router should do it (based on the SmallNetBuilder website testing), and I've disabled basically everything, but it seems to max out at 3-400 Mbps, tested with my SSD equipped MacBook Air with a 1Gpbs interface, but when I connect that same laptop directly to the fiber optic gateway I get +740Mpbs.

• I'm running firmware v1.2.1.14 (2015-08-13, 14:21:24)
  • I only have the 1 WAN interface (WAN1)
  • Inbound load balance is disabled
  • Dual Wan is in Smart Link
  • I've set the WAN1 Bandwidth to "1000000" for up and down (although for some reason I don't see the rate control options table in this article)
  • LLDP disabled
  • Bonjour disabled
  • LAN1 set to high priority (all others set to Normal), all set to Auto/Gigabit
  • LAN1 shows "LAN1    10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T    Up    Enabled    High    1000Mbps    Full    Enabled"
  • All firewall options disabled, no cookie blocking configured
  • No VPN configured

Thoughts on what to try next?

Brett

9 Replies 9

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you sure the speed and duplex on WAN1 match what is used on the fibre?

I assume you are plugging your Macbook in via a copper cable to the RV320, rather than using WiFi?

Yes, WiFi is disabled for the purposes of my testing.

Here is some additional data.  I've taken the RV320 out of the network since it's so drastically limiting my bandwidth, and replaced with a Netgear R7000 that I was using as an access point.  It takes a little bit of overhead off of my direct-to-fiber-gateway speed (80-90 Mbps it seems) but still gives quite good performance in comparison.

Again, the higher numbers are direct, with the slightly lower ones are with the R7000.  With the RV320 I can't break 400Mbps.

R7000 versus direct speed tests

Any improvement with the new (finally) released 1.3.1.12 firmware?

I don't know, to be honest, I put it back in the box and got a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Pro so I haven't been using the 320, sadly.

I actually went to an Ubiquiti Edgerouter as well after getting tired of waiting for the RV320's fixed 1.3.1.x firmware to be released.

Here's some more data... all Cat 6 cabling, and here are some results from Speed test. Everything that's 400+ is direct to the Alcatel fiber gateway, everything under is from the RV320.

The absolute speeds are down a bit from my max due to time of day, but you can see the morning results, and that the RV320 is cutting the speed almost in half.

Dan Burget
Level 1
Level 1

I had the exact same issue with my RV320 (Firmware: v1.3.1.12) and tried what you did, but the only thing that finally fixed it was setting the WAN1 up/down max bandwidth like you, setting all LAN and WAN ports to High priority on the port control menu, AND creating a rate rule for all LAN clients as follows:

Then I got the same up and downstream speeds on Verizon FIOS as directly connected.  It seems as though the RV320 has a default upstream limiting built in unless you explicitly tell it not to with a rule.  Not a good feature IMHO.  Also, FYI you can set all the other features you turned off back to normal.  With this fix I get the full up/down speed even with all the firewall features turned on, Bonjour, access control rules, etc. 

Without Rate Control I get only ~500Mb/s on Wan to Lan (with 1Gb/s Internet on Wan!)

If I set anything on Rate Conrol, test with Upload and Download etc. the download is falling to <100Mb/s

so it becomes even slower and slower than faster ... Hello Mr. Bug Nr. 71238127!

This bull**bleep** Router can never ever handle 900Mb/s WAN to LAN like it stand on the whitepaper!