cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 Site to Site

Neil Kirkland
Level 1
Level 1

How do I configure an RV320 to link two sites via a BT VPN channel (always up) - I thought these RV320's were supposed to be easy - I find IOS easier !!.

Site 1 is 192.168.8.0/24, with a gateway IP (in BT box) of 192.168.8.254

Site 2 is 192.168.10.0/24, with a gateway IP (in BT box) of 192.168.10.254

I've tried enabled RIPv2, tried transparent bridging, and static IP on WAN1 using the BT IP address as the gateway, tried both gateway and router modes, both site subnets are in the subnet table, I don't need or want to use a VPN - since the traffic is passing through a VPN already between the BT boxes.

If somebody on Site 1 needs to inspect Site 2 they enter an appropriate IP and ... nothing .... The RV320 sounded like the ideal box but it refuses to 'route' anything in either router or gateway mode. I can't use DHCP on either site due to existing DHCP servers.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Being able to learn something is not the same thing as being able to do it for real. The only thing that exams prove is your memory.
3 Replies 3

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Neil, 

My name is Kristian and I am one of the engineers from the Small Business team. 

I am sorry that you are experiencing issues setting up your RV320 routers for site to site access.

Can you please clarify the following:

-Is there a VPN already established between the BT boxes or is there simply an Internet service from BT?

-What mode are the BT boxes using? (gateway, transparent, bridge)

-When you go to the VPN summary menu what is the status of the VPN you have configured? (Connected, waiting for a connection, something else)

Please refer to this article which guides you through the Site to Site VPN setup.

Make sure to use the BT boxes' WAN IP addresses to identify the remote sites and not the BT box gateway IPs (192.168.8.254 and 192.168.10.254) as you need public IP addresses in order to establish the VPN.

Also please make sure that you enable NAT Traversal on both units as it seems that the WAN IPs on the RVs are private IP addresses. Otherwise even if the tunnel is established you won't be able to pass traffic through.

You can also copy any log messages from the RV320 routers related to this issue so we can provide more accurate suggestions.

If you want additional assistance with this setup please give us a call so we can assist you over the phone or with a remote session.

Hope that helps,
Kris

If you find this content useful please rate it so other users can benefit from it as well.

I actually don’t need a VPN at all – the BT Boxes do all that stuff themselves – to us it is just a transparent bridge between two sites. I can ask BT for more details if it will help.

All I need is to get access to one site from the other, the BT link is an always up connection and replaced a Kilostream link, they have taken an IP from each sites internal range as their ‘gateway’ IP.

Site 1 uses 192.168.4.254

Site 2 uses 192.168.5.254

If a user in segment 192.168.4.0/24 tries to open a service on 192.168.5.0/24 I just need the link to work.

When I read that the RV320 had transparent bridging I thought it would be ideal – I’ve never had so much trouble configuring what is a simple route i.e. for 192.168.5.0/25 addresses use gateway 192.168.4.254 - indeed the routing table shows default 0.0.0.0 going to the correct gateway but nothing comes out the other end, we have confirmed the BT link is up.

I thought RIP would take care of the details – but it doesn’t – give me a layer 3 switch and IOS any day ….

Regards

Neil K.

Being able to learn something is not the same thing as being able to do it for real. The only thing that exams prove is your memory.

So this topic is now partially 'resolved' and once the issue is known it's fairly easy to fix.

The problem was caused by the BT termination box having an internal IP in the same range as the subnet. For site one this meant that the BT box had an IP address inside the 192.168.8.0/24 range - and this is the problem. If you want to route outbound the WAN IP / Gateway must NOT match the local LAN range or the router simply doesn't route, nor does it discover the other router.

Changing the Site 1 BT Box IP to 10.100.1.1 and setting this IP as the static IP / gateway combination, site 2 to 10.100.2.1 then with the RIPv2 enabled we can now route across the BT VPN with no issues. We disabled the firewall on both boxes and configured them as gateway not router. There was no need for any NAT etc.

We did try adding the remote subnet as a LAN subnet but there appears to be no routing enabled on any of the LAN ports so no amount of messing with NAT or Static routes worked for subnet to subnet on the LAN ports.