cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 VLAN Routing Issues (VoIP)

avantacoustics
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased the RV320 in an HP 1920-24G-POE+ switch to help our company move from 25meg internet to 1G fiber internet and from POTS phones to VOIP phones.  The RV320 appears to be configured correctly for my desired VLANS (there are four total, 1 is general office and 100 is VOIP).  I say it appears to be configured correctly, because if I connect a PC to that VLAN, it routs to the internet just fine.  Furthermore, if I connect the VOIP phone to VLAN1, it seems to work just fine.  However, when I connect the VOIP phone to the VLAN100, it cannot register with the SIP provider.  Through WireShark, I can see the request for registration leave the phone, but the VOIP provider never sees the request hit his servers.  Furthermore, not surprisingly, that means I do not get a response to the request.

I'm struggling with what could be misconfigured.

The cisco is a DHCP server on VLAN 100, wheras, my Win2012R2 Server is the DHCP server on VLAN 1.

In both cases, my Win2012R2 Server is the DNS server, but inter-vlan-routing is enabled between 1 and 100.

I do not have any static routes set, but I have RIP v1 & v2 allowed and I send out RIP v2.

Firewall:

SIP ALG is turned off, and there is an Access Rul to open PORT 5060 both directons.

It is as if to SIP Registration request isn't leaving my network on VLAN 100, but it is on VLAN 1.  But A: The firewall rules are the same, and B: other/normal traffic works fine on VLAN 100 (including that the phones VPN themselves in to the VOIP provider fine on VLAN 100).  The only thing that isn't working is this SIP Registration.

Thanks in advance for your help/assistance,

Drew

1 Reply 1

avantacoustics
Level 1
Level 1

Since I see someone else is having the same issue, I will post an update to where I am today.

I did get the phones to register successfully.  I can't list the full cause of the issue (as I don't remember what all ultimately changed during troubleshooting some time ago), but one of the causes was that Consolidated Communications doesn't allow port 5060 because they use it for their Phone Service to our company.  I was able to create rules to force VLAN 100 traffic (by IP Range) through WAN2, which was AT&T DSL.  This was somewhat unreliable, however, as occasionally traffic would seemingly try and go through WAN1 and the registration would be lost/dropped.  This issue was increased by enabling SNMP in the Router, which is a known bug.

If someone else needs to route certain traffic through a certain WAN port, this is done through System Management>Dual WAN>Edit.  In my case, I routed all ports to all IP addresses through WAN2, as long as it originated from 192.168.100.1~192.168.100.254 which is the subnet of my VLAN100.

Drew

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: