cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325: DNS serving for MAC/IP bindings?

SteveG___
Level 1
Level 1

Does the RV325 have a possibility to serve DNS replies for local server names? Most @home routers these days have a local device list that they resolve so that there is no need to setup a dedicated DNS. I was wondering if the RV325 can do this as well or that I need to setup an additional server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Steve,

The RV325 does have an option like this, called DNS Local Database.  It is available under DHCP >> DNS Local Database.  This will allow you to setup Name-to-IP bindings without needing an entire DNS server.

Hope that helps, and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Steve,

The RV325 does have an option like this, called DNS Local Database.  It is available under DHCP >> DNS Local Database.  This will allow you to setup Name-to-IP bindings without needing an entire DNS server.

Hope that helps, and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Okay thanks, I had found that but couldn't get it to work. With your confirmation that this was indeed what I was looking for I finally discovered I had to change the DNS Server mode into "Use DNS Proxy", this wasn't entirely clear to me. Also: The help only explains how to manually modify network settings, perhaps it would be a good idea to also point out there that *if* you are using DHCP, the proxy is an alternative?

When I have that proxy enabled, resolving fails for a whole bunch of external sites. The sites themselves work, as I can resolve them when I either turn the proxy of (and renew the DHCP) or if I use my other internet connection.

Any idea how I can get this problem resolved? I do need the local resolving but if it prevents to from getting to my regular sites it doesnt really add much use.

My challenge is across the VPN and DNS of local device to the core network. The IP addresses are in the 172.16.100.x range. The DNS setting is 192.168.1.1. The routing fails for devices (i.e. network drive) on the 192.168.1.x range. It is like the 192.168.1.1 DNS does not share the details with the VPN devices on a client to Gateway IPSEC tunnel. Not sure if I a missing a routing rule or have an incorrect DNS setting.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: