Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 - enforcing protocol binding with WAN link down

David M
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to accomplish something with my RV325 that may be a little out of the ordinary and am not having much luck. I have 2 WAN links (1 is DSL, 2 is LTE) and they operate well in load sharing mode. I've configured a couple of Protocol Binding settings to force high bandwidth devices (Apple TV, etc) to use WAN 1, and everything operates as expected. Now, here's the issue. My DSL connection recently failed without my knowledge (modem failure) and all traffic went out WAN 2 (LTE) and as one can expect, used a lot of expensive bandwidth. 

I'd like to find a way that I can prevent this in the future by making either implementing a more stringent Protocol Binding or some other way of preventing certain LAN IPs from even having access to the WAN 2 connection. I think the router is doing exactly what it should by failing over to the secondary WAN, but I'd like to prevent non-essential services (Netflix, etc) from finding their way out the LTE connection.

RV325 firmware: v1.3.2.02

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave M

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi David, 

Sorry for late reply due to CNY, I just tried several scenario with my RV325 but seems hard to meet your requirements via create ACL, since access rule can't choose outgoing interface.

But you can try to create QoS rule to limit non-essential services outbound traffic

Interface Service IP Direction Min. Rate(kb/s) Max. Rate(kb/s) Status

WAN2      All             (IP)  up/down              50(or lower)                   50(or lower)        enable

Ami

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ami Xiao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David, I think you can put non-essential services in other vlan also with protocol binding and adding access rule to prevent it go thru WAN2, not sure if this fits your needs.

Hi Ami,

Thanks for the reply! That sounds like what I'd like to do, but I'm not quite sure how to configure the access rule. Could you provide any more help on that aspect of the setup? I'm familiar with setting up a new VLAN and assigning the non-essential devices to it, but I'm not quite sure how to build the access rule to prevent it from going out WAN 2. Thanks again for any info you can provide.

Dave M

Hi David, 

Sorry for late reply due to CNY, I just tried several scenario with my RV325 but seems hard to meet your requirements via create ACL, since access rule can't choose outgoing interface.

But you can try to create QoS rule to limit non-essential services outbound traffic

Interface Service IP Direction Min. Rate(kb/s) Max. Rate(kb/s) Status

WAN2      All             (IP)  up/down              50(or lower)                   50(or lower)        enable

Ami

Thanks Ami,

I'll give it a try.

-Dave