Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 FW Ver. 1.1.1.19 with active dual wan issue

burtoncosse225
Level 1
Level 1

Evening,

I have a strange issue while using the RV325 with dual active WAN connections (load balanced). The problem experienced is minor but it does cause headaches which i believe this to be something within my config as the RV325 is different compared to the other appliances used. The problem may also be a limitation of the RV325 but

Very simple need & design -

WAN 1 - Cable ISP no static required

WAN 2 - UVerse ISP with static assigned

WAN 2 - One of the virtual servers will require access from the outside using 2 specific ports which has been stated and enabled within trigger table and forward table for this server. With this, the server is accessible from the outside but in my past experienced I should have been asked "what wan link these ports should be tied to" so i believe i missed something or it is just not within the interface.

Issue with this config - The server itself is accessible but we experience nonstop connection issues that last 1.5min and repeats every 10min.

Bypass the RV325 - connected the VM directly to the UVerse modem through virtual nic on the host, assigned a static to the VM, created the port rules for the VM and everything is working like it should with no disconnects.

Any ideas as to what i missed or could be the problem with the 325?

Thanks,
Burt

8 Replies 8

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I'm sorry you are having issues with this setup. 

Let me ask you to clarify something so that we have a better idea.

If I am understanding correctly, you said that port forwarding to the VM is working correctly but you are experiencing "nonstop connection issues that last 1.5min and repeats every 10min."

What do you mean exactly? Issues connecting from the outside or issues on the VM with outbound traffic?

Please let us know.

Hi and sorry for the delay

I have the port forwarding correctly specified within the RV325 but experience "nonstop connection issues that last 1.5min and repeats every 10min."

Same ports are set on another router and its working fine but for some reason the RV325 is causing the server connection to hang.

Could this be a problem with the RV325 operating in load balanced dual WAN mode as the port forwarding does not permit you to isolate the port to a specific WAN destination? Other dual wan appliances require you to specify which WAN destination "ex. WAN1 or WAN2" will use the forwarding port / service but the RV325 did not require the settings.

I've attached a screenshot of another appliance (Netgear UTM25) which shows the specific ports are assigned to a specific WAN destination. This was a test to show it being avail on other devices which i think the problems i experienced might be due to the RV325 not having this option.

Thanks,
Burt

Hello, 

I was reading your reply and I'm not sure I agree that is the issue, but I think it's worth trying.

The router does have that function, it is called protocol binding and you can use to force the router to use a specific WAN port for different protocols.

Here is a link to a knowledge base article that explains how to configure protocol binding:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=d6c17b6ee53141f59ae03c6defeb20cb_Dual_WAN_Configuration_on_RV320_Router.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=5&dispid=0&cpage=search 

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Hello, I just wanted to touch base with you and find out if you ere able to try the suggestion I gave you and if it is working correctly for you.

Please let us know.

Evening,

I tried the steps outlined above and it did not work. I believe what i am trying to accomplish is beyond this routers abilities. I have tried 2 other appliances Netgear UTM50, Peplink Balance 210 and a cheap TPlink dual wan router which all work fine. I am not sure if this RV325 has a limit within the firmware, interface or device itself but i was unsuccessful. 

Basically my requirements are to link specific ports tied to specific lan IP addresses routed to a specific WAN destination. Its not that complex for this device to handle i think its a restriction, limit or something else. I tried this on 2 different brand new RV325 units and received the same outcome so i know the device itself is not experiencing some sort of issue.

Example: 

I am hosting my own teamspeak server in which i want to route this traffic to WAN 2 since that ISP provides static ip pool for me to use. 

LAN IP 172.16.10.200 

Ports 9984, 30033 & 10011

As i completed the requests stated above this server was still communicating on WAN1 and no traffic could reach this server from the outside. I have everything specified for WAN 2 but still failed. 

Do you think this could be a limitation of the device, firmware etc?

Hello, 

I don't think there is any kind of limitation for this specific configuration, the router is more than capable of doing this. I think we are missing something on the configuration.

According to your statement above you will need to configure protocol binding for ports 9984, 30033 & 10011 so that the server with LAN IP 172.16.10.200 will be forced to use WAN 2 to send traffic using the ports mentioned before.

Now, to access the device from the outside you will also have to configure port forwarding to that same server.

I'm 100% positive this configuration, as I understand it, can be accomplish using this router.

Maybe you can post a few screenshots with your configuration so that I can try and find out what the issue is?

Please let me know, I'm extremely curious to find out why this is not working.

Hi, i will complete the screen shots tomorrow mid morning. It's late here and I have an early am appoint with a client site. The ports are specified within the router interface and on the server itself. I took it a step further and done the steps stated under protocol binding. 

Usually, you would set the service within the router and bind that to a WAN destination (ex. WAN1 or WAN2) also insure the ports are opened on the server. We can test tomorrow with one of my VMs and i will even record the session of steps taken on the router and server side. For some odd reason it continues to receive from WAN1 not WAN2!

Thanks,
Burt

Thank you, I will be waiting for the info to try and discover the problem