Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 inter VLAN routing not working

christiaan.ras1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the possession of a RV325. The RV325 has direct connections to some devices and is connected to an access point.

On the RV325 I configured besides the default VLAN 1, an additional VLAN 20. VLAN 20 is configured as tagged, since the access point is aware of VLAN 20 for a specific SSID.

Both VLAN's are configured with their own subnet:

VLAN 1 with subnet 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 (DHCP), all RV325 ports are untagged.

VLAN 20 with subnet 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 (DHCP), all RV325 ports are excluded, except the one with a connection to the access point (marked as tagged).

Both VLAN's have inter VLAN routing enabled.

My problem is that I cannot send PING's to specific hosts in VLAN 1 from a host in VLAN 20. But to the same host I can establish a SSH connection.

If I ping to that host I get an 'ICMP Redirect Host' message back, but no ping reply. When I use SSH I do not receive this redirect. So this seems a bit weird behavior.

To be sure, I also checked firewall settings on the destination (host in VLAN 1), but no rule should block the ping.

Hope anyone can help me with this.

Regards,

Chris

8 Replies 8

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure both hosts have the correct default gateway (being that of the VLAN interface in their VLAN).

Host firewall?

Hi p.dath,

Thanks for your reply. Default gateways are configured by default in RV325. VLAN 1 propagates gateway 192.168.1.1 and VLAN 20: 192.168.2.1.

Both IP's are owned by the RV325.

Host allows all connections from local networks (192.168.*.*).

Regards,

Chris

I was browsing my past post and seen I didn't follow up on this.  My issue with this was resolve somewhat.  I determine the issue was with inter vlan routing with just VLAN 1.  I move all my devices off of VLAN 1 to a new VLANs and inter vlan routing works as expected.  I didn't bother working with Cisco on this issue since it is working fine using VLANs other then 1. 

Nathan Young
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get a resolution?  I might be having the same issue.  I have inter VLAN routing turned on for all VLANs.  When preforming a ping between any VLAN to devices on VLAN 1, I get one response then no more.  I have verified gateways, inter VLAN routing, and disabled the firewall in the router and the hosts.  Unlike your issue, I cannot get any other protocol to work such as HTTP.  I am pretty sure I was able to ping from VLAN 1 to hosts on the other VLANs.

Hi Nathan,

No, never got the answer in this thread. But I managed to solve the problem recently by installing the new firmware version. Although not part of the release notes, inter vlan routing works now. So there was something of a conflict/bug in the older firmware version.

To be sure, I also did a factory reset.

Regards,

Chris

Which firmware version is working for you?  Thanks for the update!

I'm using v1.3.1.12 (latest). Check: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/rv325-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/model.html#~tab-downloads

I have started to see the same problem. The RV325 has worked well for 2 years. I logged in to check my WAP121 wiifi AP  and now Inter-VLAN is not working. I removed 2 unused VLANs and upgraded the firmware to 1.5. I also tried a factory default reset but I did restore using my old config from a backup. I moved off VLAN1 and disabled it (the inter-VLAN routing).  I still cannot ping other than 192.168.XXX.1.

After a day and a half I have tried all I can think of. I also logged in via SSH but not much available on this SB router.

Any moral support or even a solution would be appreciated.

BTW the router is working I just don not have full control over it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: