cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 Upgraded to Firmware 1.4.2.17, Cannot Use GUI Now

Marknhl
Level 1
Level 1

I just upgraded the Cisco RV325WF to the latest firmware 1.4.2.17, but now I cannot use the GUI. I get to the login screen and login, but then I get an error that says:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ssi.cgi on this server.

It appears that I can get to the router via SSH, but I'm not sure what commands I can use as any of the traditional Cisco commands don't appear to do anything.

Any help is appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Tim5
Level 1
Level 1

I have experienced this issue as well.

After uploading Firmware 1.4.2.17, everything appeared normal until I entered the correct login details to access the admin interface. I receive the same forbidden error message as described by the OP. I tried reverting to factory settings which does technically resolve the issue. I am able to access the admin interface with the default credentials. However when I upload a backup of my configuration and try to login, I receive the forbidden error message.

I was able to rollback to Firmware 1.3.2.02 and restore my configuration to bring the router back online.

Grateful for any advice to address this bug.

I eventually got back to dealing with this. In the meantime, everything worked just fine on the network, but I wanted GUI access back.

Yesterday reset the router, which defaulted the settings but kept the same firmware 1.4.2.17, and I could get into the GUI. I then tried to restore to my backup configuration and this recreated the same forbidden access to the GUI problem. This is odd, because I don't know how my configuration would interfere with this firmware to cause said issue...

Anyway, I reset the router again, got in long enough to roll back the firmware to the 1.3.2.02 version, and ran into a different error. It would let me login to the system, but then proper menus would display on the sidebar or main part of the screen. Reset the router again and the problem was resolved, firmware maintained at 1.3.2.02. Restored my config and all is well.

This has all been a bit odd... but everything is working fine currently... on the older 1.3.2.02 firmware.

Hi,

It is recommended to factory reset the device after upgrading the firmware. You can find this in the release notes for 1.4.2.17:

"NOTE The configuration will be lost if you downgrade the firmware from this version to an earlier version, and the configuration files of this version can not be imported to the previous release. We recommend that you reset your device to use default settings when you upgrade to version 1.4.2.17 and reconfigure your settings to include these new features."

No, the factory reset doesn't work. I even tried to upload old firmware by TFTP as mentioned in release notes for 1.4.2.17:
STEP 1 Power off the router.
STEP 2 Press down the reset button, then power on the router. Holding the reset button for
10 seconds and release the button until the DIAG LED light turn red, and PWR LED
light keep flashing.
STEP 3 Connect the PC to the LAN1 port. Configure the PC static address as
STEP 4 Upload the firmware to the router with TFTP tools. For example, you can enter the
command "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RV32X_v1.1.1.06_20131206-code.bin” in
Windows command line.
STEP 5 After finishing uploading, the device will reboot by itself.
STEP 6 After the router startup, the PWR LED light is on, and the DIAG LED light is off.

Step 4 failed. tftp client showed "Connect request failed". Ping 192.168.1.1 is ok.

Any advise? Thank you.

Hi Marknhl, I got exact same problem. Can you please tell me how to roll back firmware when you were unable to login by GUI? I tried to reset to factory default but firmware didn't changed (keep 1.4.2.17). Any assistance are appreciated!

Even after upgrading to version 1.5.1.05, same error. I noticed the issue only occurred when I disabled the default VLAN 1, as a best practice. looks like it will only let me manage it from that LAN subnet, but yet to test it. All I know at this point is I was able to login and make all the previous config changes and access fine. That is until I rebooted and the router took on a different IP address.

Please see attached screenshot.

all vlans are enabled for management, at this point.

I am having the same issue as you.  I can no longer access the GUI at 192.168.1.1 via LAN 1.  This looks to be due to a invalid security certificate.  I don't know why a brand new router would not have a valid certificate thru Cisco.  I have attempted multiple factory resets, (both the 10 and 30 sec variety).  That may work briefly, then I get the "502 Bad Gateway" message again.  Again, I'd love to be able to enjoy a brand new router, but it looks to be going back to Amazon this week.

I figured out a solution!  If you are receiving the 502 bad gateway message and unable to reach the router GUI at 192.168.1.1, you have to flash the firmware.  A factory reset will not get you back in to the router.  The only way I could accomplish this was to use TFTP program http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Follow the instructions posted here the for a Netgear firmware flash.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

The key is to "PUT" the bin file onto the router while it is booting.  It is different for the Cisco router, so read this on how to get it into the boot loader phase.

https://www.paladin.technology/tech/73-cisco-rv325-firmware-update-via-tftp.html

Make sure the server interface is set to the static IP you set earlier and not another IP.  The PWR LED should be blinking green and the DIAG will be solid red.  Click on PUT and you should see the status bar filling up.  Voila!  

Now if the certificate is bad, like mine was, you can fix that too!  You should be able to log in to the GUI at 192.168.1.1 using cisco/cisco.  Under System Management, there is a Factory Default option.  There you can reset the router to Factory Default including Certificates.  That will restore the router and remove any certificate issues.

Hope this helps.  It took me 2 days to track this method down and lots of help from this forum and the web.  Let me know if this solution worked for you.  I'm staying with firmware v1.2.1.14 for now.

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: